Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite Aero liner?

Gambetto

Familiar Face
What kind of Aero liner inside a jacket you own is your favorite?

I am allergic to animal hair, so I want to use a type of cotton for the liner in an order that I am putting together for a jacket from Aero.

Do I have more to choose from than merely cotton drills? I really like some of the tweed and tartan linings but I think they are made of wool.

Has anyone put moleskin under cotton drill in the arms? I have heard that is nice to do to keep the jacket softer and more comfortable to wear. Unfortunately, I bruise easily and hope to avoid the horsehide from giving me bruises under my arms while the jacket is breaking in. I have found that when FQHH or mid-weight horsehide creases, it can bind a little on the wearer's flesh, especially on the inner triceps, thereby causing discomfort.

My rationale in putting moleskin under cotton drill is that it might be more comfortable than merely cotton drill by itself in the arms.

I can't find a source on Aero's website that explains which sort of liners are available and what each is liner made from.

Am I missing the obvious?
Aero has a very cool website, but I could have overlooked a page for liners since there is so much material there to see (which is always a good thing).

I am not allergic to horsehide or steer leather.

Aero jackets rule.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would email Holly directly. She'll be able to tell you what the state of play is with liners. I know there's been some railing back on some options i.e. a narrowing of the tartan choices, but I don't know where they stand with the other combos.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, there is nothing sharper looking than the Tartan lining.... Although,I recall reading a post regarding satin or sateen over cotton in the sleeves. The thought being that the cotton is for comfort and warmth and the satin for ease of putting the jacket on and off. Good luck with your order.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I love the green quilted satin that Aero used in the Longshoreman. Other than that, sheepskin in a Highwayman.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since I live in Texas, the "tough as nails" cotton drill is the only lining that makes sense for me.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The cotton drill in my Hercules is pretty rough, as in abrasive. More like a burlap feel than the drill in my GW A1.
If I had it to do over, I would probably pursue something different. That said, one of the jackets Mark Moye messed
up and sent me had sateen over cotton in the sleeves and that was really unpleasant for two reasons- first, who needs
a double lining in the sleeves, and second, there was way too much of it, so it was like pushing through a pillow or
drapery to get my arm in. Also that sateen is pretty phoney if you've ever felt real satin. Don't know how it would handle sweat.

The cotton tartan sounds pretty cool.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I like the old rayon or satin liner that Aero used to offer in the Hercules. It's eld up better than anything else I've had.

Hercules%2520Lining.jpg

Edward

Bartender
My favorite is the green gabadine Aero uses for the B-10. I don't know if this lining is available anymore.

I have that in my brown Thirties halfbelt - works really well. Hardwearing, but not hot. I'd avoid to heavy a lining in a jacket like the Thirties halfbelt. These jackets were designed to be worn neat and trim - too thick a lining, and you'll have to size up, and start risking it looking "wrong" somehow. Also, a very cropped jacket isn't much ideal for depths of Winter (and I say that as somebody who wears an Irvin or a B3 much of the Winter - neither especially long), so too warm a lining could actually really limit its utility.... anyhow.... I heard this wasn't available anymore as Aero were rumoured to be getting out of doing the cloth jackets, but now the B10 is back in their regular line, it should be available, unless they've decided for operational reasons since the company reorganisation not to offer it. I've also had the drill cotton, and it is great - in practical terms, I don't think there's any significant difference. I'm very fond of the biscuit check lining in my Highwayman - drill cotton again, and very hardwearing. My Bootlegger has the wool tartan, and it is really nice. The sleeves in that jacket are thick moleskin, which would be more likely to limit its use in warmer weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner