Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats your favorite Hat for warm weather

John J

Familiar Face
I ask this as the purchase of a summer hat for myself in June got me going on hat wearing (for other than outside activities)

I have several Tilly's I wear when Hiking , mowing lawn, kayaking ETC. that said I didn't like the look of the Tillys when dressed nicer.

I purchased a Biltmor panama (Cuenca) and I really didn't care for it. I did not like the white color and I found the palm to be a bit fragile for me , actually the brim was stained not long after I bought it. I was going to buy a real Monticristi but then decided to try a Milan straw(real straw) . well I found my summer hat material . ill probably get a custom for next year.

I love the Milan, I like the look , European flair ( driving alps in a German sports car feel) and by nature of the construction Milans from what I can see would seem to breathe better(fine mesh) than better Panamas that are woven tight to super tight depending on the price tag.

I also like the stiffness in the Milan straw (bit more durable?).

any way what do you gents like this time of year for non rain days.

many thanks 'J"

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My favorite warm weather hat is a Panama. I have several that I've bought from PanamaBob and I have a Panama Open Road that I bought from Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans. I'm wearing the OR today, in fact.

But I sometimes wear a Vietnam-era, USN pith helmet...typically when I'm mowing the grass. And I have a no-name, feed-store special straw hat that I occasionally wear working in the yard. And I sometimes wear a Desert Storm vintage, tri-color boonie or an old, beat-up, Miller Beer truck driver's cap.

AF

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I haven't ventured into the realm of high end Panamas, so of the hats I have, I prefer natural straw Milans. I have two really nice vintage ones; a Resistol, and one from the Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co. of New York. I've also got a nice custom Milan from Black Sheep Hat Works.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I own an inexpensive Panama with a narrower brim than I usually wear, but it's nice. I own four Sun Body hats, but they're kind of hot. I have one that I wear when I'll probably get sweaty. I also wear a bone, un-lined Fedora or a lined Sahara Fedora when it's not over 85 degrees F. I really need to get a Panama Bob Cuenca for a hot weather hat.

Later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Vented straw is my choice for those hot steamy days.

BQ6BG2BmkKGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr3WBJ7TWpqm.jpg
[/URL]

Felt4ever

New in Town
I prefer a wider brimmed straw. I own a Bailey Nichols which has a wider brim then I care for, but when I camp, fish, kayak, etc and it is really hot it`s nice to cover the neck and shoulders. Personally if you just want sun protection it`s the way to go. If you want to dress, the panama style is probably ideal a little more suave.

hatband

One of the Regulars
In summer here it regularly gets into the 90's 100's. Akubra Territory or Akubra Birdsville when not at work. At work a vented straw fedora.

new2hats

A-List Customer
My go to summer hat is a low end cuenca panama hat that I bought from PB last year. I have some high end MC panamas and a lot of low end panamas, and seem to always reach for that hat b/c not afraid to get it sweaty I guess. On rainy days I use my wool Stetson Bozeman or Guerra GU.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Straw, Panama, Milan or paper. I have one Panama that has an open weave band that is the best, and it's the coolest. After it for coolness some of the western's (Resistol is what I have) with the little vent grommets. My totally close weave Panama's and the Stetson Panama straw Open Roads are a little warm.

Qvist

Familiar Face
My favorite for warm weather is my cheap Panama. It has only about 2 inch brim so it dos not give very good shade from the sun. I should get a good quality Montecristi, if only I had enough money...

Hatsquad

New in Town
Light-colored Akubra Territory is it for me. Tried the straw Resistols etc. I find them very hot and sweaty, and not as comfortable and conforming as the Territory. The 4 inch brim gives me portable shade.

Regards, Gerry

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
As a Florida native, I've always favored a good summer hat for protection from the sun.

I remember in college (1990 or so) I actually wrote a guide to buying a summer hat for the local paper. About that time I purchased my first real Panama, from a guy who was a true character. He had been caught on a fishing boat in Hurricane Camille. He said that during the storm he had a vision that he should open a hat shop in Tallahassee(!). I guess we all have out inspirations. That hat served me for many years, before being retired to the drama club wardrobe department when the middle school where I taught mounted a production of Guys and Dolls.

I currently have a Tilley that I wear for hiking and traveling. It does protect me from the sun and it is convenient to keep up with since it has a chin strap. But, as noted above, it's not very dressy.

I've owned a number of "beater" cheap straws for yard work over the years. None of them is very stylish, but they all shade my head when I'm gardening.

Earlier this spring, as the weather warmed up, I visited our local shop, Futoshi Hats. The best summer model he had in stock was a "Shantung Panama" (paper) hat, with a relatively high crown and stingy brim. I wore this regularly until leaving for a trip to the US a couple of weeks ago. One interesting characteristic of this hat is that it does not have ribbon. Instead, the "straw" is colored black where the ribbon would normally be (it's white elsewhere), giving the appearance of a ribbon (sans bow) while still allowing the cool air to flow through the "straw."

While in the States, I made the pilgrimage to Optimo in Chicago and purchased two outstanding straws. One is a white Panama Optimo (yes an Optimo from Optimo) which is easily the finest hat I have ever owned. It is beautiful and gossamer-light. You can barely feel it on your head. And it looks great.

The other hat is a Milan in natural. It has an exceptionally wide brim (more than 3 inches) which is somehow beautifully proportioned with its crown, even though the crown is not all that high. Tiffani gave me a few brightly-colored pugaree bands (red plaid madras, blue and white gingham) to swap out with the black one that came with the hat.

We're having a scorcher of a summer here in Shanghai. In fact, the high hasn't been below 95 degrees (F) in over a month, with temps in the 105 range this past week. So every time I venture out of doors, I've got on one of these two new straws, usually the Milan because of its wider brim.

Although I love felt, I don't have any felt hats light enough for this weather. In fact, I'm not sure you could make a felt thin enough to be comfortable in the sauna that is today's weather here in Shanghai. But kudos to those who live in cooler climes and rock the felt in August. I tip my Milan to you.

Last edited:

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I wear a natural or synthetic milan for nicer occasions.

Otherwise I do beater felts, cloth outback style hats, or the current favorite - a cheap straw pith helmet (while not much for impact protection it's great for shade, wears cool, and my go to for short cycling trips).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112