What's your favorite, most psychologial-impressive movie scene??

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Trenchfriend, May 25, 2017.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Just unforgetable.

2. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

In revisiting this thread (due to a new post notification), what also struck me was not only the fragment of the statue and its general overall condition, but where it is lying, or rather, what it is lying next to.

Anyone who knows New York City knows that its geography does not include rocks/boulders of that size, and especially in lower Manhattan, and on a beach, which lower Manhattan does not have, at least at the moment.

Of course, what we don't know is the (future) history of the events in between the time period the movie began (some recent point post-1968) and where most of the movie occurs (~4000 AD).

Was the statue moved by people before a likely nuclear event? Not likely, but who knows? Was it near an explosion (likely in a post-apocalyptic world, as NYC would be a primary target) and this piece of it flew a great distance, landing some ways away from metro-NYC? There are huge stone formations as close as lower upstate New York. Possible, but not likely. Or was the attack and devastation so overwhelming that the landscape was actually changed? Could that stone, for example, be a part of the bedrock of NYC, now sticking up out of the ground? And if this was the case, how the heck did anything, including humans, and especially apes, survive?

Some of the later films, both in the original series, and then in the franchise reboot beginning in 2001, and then in 2011, 2014 and 2017, attempt to explain some of what led up to what made the events in the first movie possible, although not necessarily the details of that final scene,as the newer films seem to more accurately follow the premise of the original novel, La Planète des Singes (1963), later published in the UK as Monkey Planet, and in the U.S. as Planet of the Apes. The original film's script was originally adapted by Rod Serling (Twilight Zone), and included changes such as the Statue of Liberty ending.

3. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Forgot one... the end of the Original Version of "The Mist". I was completely floored by that one. Haven't been able to watch it since, between the truly frightening creatures, despicable humans and horrific ending.

Worf

4. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Michael as portrayed in Mario Puzo's novel, The Godfather is a man caught in a fated web,
    shackled by circumstances beyond his control, which to some extent he freely accepted as primogeniture
    obligation following the death of his elder brother and return to New York. His character is flawed and he
    will make compromise with conscience, but at his core Michael Corleone is a pragmatist, not a psychotic.

Worf, Trenchfriend and Fading Fast like this.
  5. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

To me it is the scene of Joshua (Tim Roth) arguing with his father (Maximilian Schell) in „Little Odessa“.

[​IMG]

6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Hashtag spoiler alert!

Kidding, worst kept secret since the death of Ned Stark in Game of Thrones.

Worf and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Saw this as a kid, and even then, even being Canadian, thought "there are no rocks like that at or near that statue."

Zombie_61 and scottyrocks like this.
  8. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Still love it.

"Oh shit." o_O