Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When an Aero HH jacket is NOT FQHH...

Kuro

Practically Family
Then what part would it be?

P.S. This is a Vicenza leather HH. The sewn in tag says HH, but does not say FQHH. It seems a curiosity.

Last edited:

Kuro

Practically Family
My curiosity comes from it being a recently made jacket, maybe two years old. The tag says made of the finest quality HH. Makes no mention of it being FQHH. Figured maybe someone with more experience would know if there is a difference.

Perhaps only Aero knows.

Kuro

Practically Family
The more I look, the more I see Aero jackets made of vicenza HH and have both HH tags, with and without FQHH designations. I find it interesting.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
All parts of the hide are used, some a little lighter than others I guess Vicenza is usually a lighter hide. I have a Vicenza Horse Thunderbay, it is excellent and will probably be my last zippered jacket, with it's sheep lined body had it been made from Front Quarter it would have weighed a ton and maybe not have been as comfortable.

Fonzie

One Too Many
In both my Vincenza Aero jackets says on the label “made from genuine front quarter horse hide”.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Front Quarter Horsehide simply describes the part of the hide that is used. The link above to Horween shows well the break down of the areas used. Horse skins are generally broken down into 3 parts, the Cordovan Shells which sit directly above the horses "butt cheeks", the strips which is a long thin area between the Shells and the front quarters and then the Front Quarters.
The front Quarters are the only area that are suitable for jackets. The shells are firstly too small, also too thick but also too expensive. Shells are mainly used for the very best footwear and wallets. Like wise the strips are also too thick and too small, this area is again used for smaller items such as belts and wallets etc.. This leaves only the front quarters being large enough and thuin enough to use for jackets.

With regards to Aero over the years people have perhaps wrongly associated the term Front Quarter Horsehide to decribe Horweens Chromexcel when in fact all of our horsehide be it Vicenza, Jerky, Battered, Oil Pull and Chromexcel is all Front Quarter.

Going back to the original post there has been the odd ocassion at Aero when we have ran out of "Front Quarter" Horsehide labels and whilst waiting for a new delivery we have had to fit older stock labels saying simply "Horsehide". No mater what the label says if it is Horse then it is "Front Quarter" .........unless we go back to the dark days of Will Lauder and his Storse Era, that is whole other story!!

Kuro

Practically Family
Front Quarter Horsehide simply describes the part of the hide that is used. The link above to Horween shows well the break down of the areas used. Horse skins are generally broken down into 3 parts, the Cordovan Shells which sit directly above the horses "butt cheeks", the strips which is a long thin area between the Shells and the front quarters and then the Front Quarters.
The front Quarters are the only area that are suitable for jackets. The shells are firstly too small, also too thick but also too expensive. Shells are mainly used for the very best footwear and wallets. Like wise the strips are also too thick and too small, this area is again used for smaller items such as belts and wallets etc.. This leaves only the front quarters being large enough and thuin enough to use for jackets.

With regards to Aero over the years people have perhaps wrongly associated the term Front Quarter Horsehide to decribe Horweens Chromexcel when in fact all of our horsehide be it Vicenza, Jerky, Battered, Oil Pull and Chromexcel is all Front Quarter.

Going back to the original post there has been the odd ocassion at Aero when we have ran out of "Front Quarter" Horsehide labels and whilst waiting for a new delivery we have had to fit older stock labels saying simply "Horsehide". No mater what the label says if it is Horse then it is "Front Quarter" .........unless we go back to the dark days of Will Lauder and his Storse Era, that is whole other story!!

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification and explanation of the HH labels in Aero jackets. I really appreciate it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Yep, given Horween's analysis, Hide N' Seek's testimony, and members' inputs it's conclusive. Simply labeled or not. The only thing worth further digging in to is to what degree, if at all "non" front-quarter leather is used in the non-essential jacket cosmetics areas, such as under arm pits, etc. My guess is it's still front quarter, taken from the same roll of leather used in the rest of the jacket; perhaps just cosmetically less appealing in some cases.

Colin G

One Too Many
Hair splitting I think.

splittinghairs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112