Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Do You Think This Hat is From?

Duper

Practically Family
The listing says it is a Dunlap Supreme and I found this reference to Dunlap hats on another Hat forum. Personally I would purchase a new Hanna Hat of the same look for about $50 Canadian.

Dunlap
Robert Dunlap received his first job at the age of 12 in 1857 as a general office boy for Charles Knox of Knox Hats in New York. Soon the boy graduated to the ranks of the hat salesmen, and several years later was still selling Knox hats, his salary having risen to $12 weekly. Ambitious, he asked for $15, and when Knox refused the raise the angry, Dunlap left to start his own business. Thus began the famed Dunlap hat company, founded by a onetime Knox errand boy.

By the late 1890s Dunlap Hats was known for the quality of its high end “formal” hats, such as top hats and bowlers. In deed, Dunlap succeeded in turning out the blackest derbies ever known, the Dunlap hat eventually outsold the Knox in Manhattan. For many a year small hat-makers held up their spring lines until they could see and imitate the Dunlap derby and the Knox felt.

As for Knox-Dunlap competition, both the Knox and the Dunlap businesses declined in the second decade of the 20th century and in 1918 Dunlap was acquired by Knox, though hats under the Dunlap name continued to be produced.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I got the hat today, and I have tried it on. It fits! :D

Now only one problem remains. How long do you leave a hat in the freezer? 24 hours? 48 hours? According to the description on eBay, the hat was left in a closet for many years.

I got the hat today, and I have tried it on. It fits! :D

Now only one problem remains. How long do you leave a hat in the freezer? 24 hours? 48 hours? According to the description on eBay, the hat was left in a closet for many years.

If you're trying to remove musty smells, I'd go with putting it in a plastic bag with some baking soda for a couple of days. Or sit it outside on one of these cool, sunny days for a few hours. The UV and breeze should help quite a bit.

Now let's see a noggin shot, RS!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
The reason I am freezing the hat, is just in case there is fungus, or disease on it. I think what I'm doing is overkill though, as the eBay seller said they had the hat for years in a closet.

I suppose I could wash it. The hat is soft, the crown is stiff, and the brim is not stiff at all, yet it can be snapped down. Do you think washing it will negatively affect the crown?

rogerstg

A-List Customer
The reason I am freezing the hat, is just in case there is fungus, or disease on it. I think what I'm doing is overkill though, as the eBay seller said they had the hat for years in a closet.

I suppose I could wash it. The hat is soft, the crown is stiff, and the brim is not stiff at all, yet it can be snapped down. Do you think washing it will negatively affect the crown?

Why wash it? Does it stink or something? I usually just vacuum or brush it well if it doesn't smell badly. Also, I don't think freezing rids all disease or fungus, it depends what you're concerned about. It does kill lice and nits though, which would be a more likely concern for me than disease.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ive never thought of a fungus on a hat. I just steam and brush hats when i get them then let them sun dry on the porch if applicable. If worried about moths just buy some cedar pegs from lowes that you would store with winter sweaters and such. I have cedar pegs in my closet and all my hat boxes

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Age-wise, I suspect this one is no earlier than the 1970s, given the wool-blend construction. The overall design, howeve,r goes back to at least the 30s, and has never changed significantly (it has this in common with quite a lot of traditional 'British' country clothing).

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Here are some pictures (after freezing the hat for a day!) All I hope is that there is no ringworm on it.

There is a little stamp on the side. It says made in England for Marshall Fields, and 60% Wool and 40% Other. The stamp is extremely hard to read, and is very faded. There is a better picture of it on eBay.

It's a neat little hat. :D

The hat has a 1 7/8" brim.

The hat being worn.
xKxkZun.jpg

Supertweed Showerproof.
llC6BFo.jpg

The stamp (very hard to read here, on eBay there is a better picture.)
gNur7EW.jpg

The Feather. I'm not sure if it's original or not, but I think it looks nice with the hat.
1sjkB1R.jpg

The stained sweatband.
CbZbKU8.jpg

How would one remove the stains from the sweatband? Or does it not really matter?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112