When is close enough, good enough? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ton312, Oct 15, 2021.

1. ton312

ton312

I’m locked in a terrible debate with myself right now and I’d like to hear the collective knowledge base here and their opinion on the matter. I recently picked up this as new Oxford 9D, literally days after placing my order for a new one with Kim. This jacket is a 40” and I ordered a 42”. In doing some research, I’ve found the 42” will afford me *potentially .5” additional space in the chest and shoulder, 1” in body length.

From Thurston’s site, Oxford 9D, size 42”
    0EDD866F-C37D-4565-BF2A-085A5487964A.jpeg
    My size 40”:
    1AADD6FB-B365-47AD-AD57-91DE0A84FCDE.jpeg 591FD0B1-4B83-4A1A-9DE2-2630DECF71FD.jpeg 3C1C56DA-F73D-4A94-8068-80121520CDA2.jpeg 6F517BDF-1BA7-49AD-8CC7-D56D7DBD3D72.jpeg
    Fit pics, the jacket is certainly trim. It’s not a bother to wear at all. Perhaps just a bit, very tiny bit, tight across the shoulders. It’s also not broken in.
    5E1C2514-F077-459D-BB7D-52007AC1D017.jpeg 6B652E63-8DF2-48E4-BD2F-B4638431774F.jpeg CBEC4F16-A77E-4572-BB21-65581A5F9461.jpeg 829377A6-72EE-4C3B-906B-2B2901D65F87.jpeg
    It is within reason to expect the 42” could be 1/2”-1” greater all around. Is it worth it for that? Will I even notice? It is also within spec to receive a jacket that measures exactly as the 40” does. I am very tempted to can my order. Do I just wait and see? Maybe change my order to something else? What would you do!??!

JoeNiblick, nickv, Jin431 and 2 others like this.
  2. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

tough one.. I think id wait to see how the 42 looks/fits..

bn1966 and ton312 like this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

If you can afford to keep both for now i would.
    That way you are 100% sure you have the fit you want, no ragrets!

4. ton312

ton312

Yeah it’s already budgeted for…I’m just wondering if it makes more sense to order something else, and let this Oxford stand as is.

5. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I like tight jackets. Therefore I would keep it ;)

JoeNiblick, nickv, navetsea and 3 others like this.
  6. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 Practically Family

If you can cancel it without repercussions I would. Then you can get another style or a V.2 after

sweetfights, Marc mndt and ton312 like this.
  7. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

I think that Oxford looks spot-on for you Tony. However if you could "return" the Vanson you ordered new (42) I would keep the order coming and see how that is. Would also make for a nice hide comparison as well.

Etiher way, that "40" fits you great, the leather is quite nice, and you got an awesome deal on it.

TREEMAN, ton312 and Guppy like this.
  8. Tom71

Tom71 One Too Many

I would def. wait for the 42. It fits good, but - you know - you feel that it’s a teeni-tiny bit tight…

navetsea, sweetfights, Boyo and 3 others like this.
  9. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

Sounds to me like you was the 42.

ton312 and Guppy like this.
  10. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

None? Not even one letter?

Ton— The B pattern runs a tad large so no surprise a 40 fits. I’ve had Bs in both sizes. I think the 42 will feel and look great. It should feel better in the shoulders, and in my case, the chest too.

So, I’d wait and see for two reasons. Compare fits, and to scope out the CW, in case it’s awesomer. If you go with the 40, return the 42 for something else. But if the 42 feels better…

bn1966, sweetfights, TREEMAN and 2 others like this.
  11. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Keep the 40 for a shirt layer and 42 for a sweater layer. You'll end up selling one or both anyway. ;)

12. Monitor

Monitor

I have found the jump from 40 to 42 in Model B to be insane. It's not something numbers will easily indicate but while the 40 was pretty much perfect for me (at the time), the 42 might as well have been a 46. You'll see but I think you'll like 40 a lot more.

ton312 likes this.
  13. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

It doesn't hurt to try if it's returnable. I am not sure about customs, but my off rack experience has always been positive with Vanson. I got different sizes to try and sent back the ones that didn't work. They are old school, so much faster to get things done over the phone than email.

The Oxford 42 on Vanson's website has 44" sweep. Then add 6.5" ease to the chest that would be 48.5". Or 24.25" P2P and 22" Hem. These are the same measurements to a size 44 Highwayman. What I'm trying to say is you might like the Oxford 42 better, same as how your model E fits.

Vansons are hard to measure when flat because how thick the seams are.

ton312 likes this.
  14. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tough call, but I think you'd fit in a 42 better. If you have a long wait and it's a custom order, I'd ask them to put a hold on it and then wear the 40 until you get a firm decision one way or another. Then either go forward with the 42 or see if you can roll the money into a different model, or cancel the order.

ton312 likes this.
  15. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Since the order is already made I would wait and compare the two, would definitely be curious about the CW. The 40 fits you well and just the way you like it. There really is no dilemma.... your in a perfect situation.

ton312 likes this.
  16. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

Been in similar situation with basically same jacket--enfield. Mine was a 1/3 size too small. And I just found myself pushing it back further and further in the closet.

I think the split back and especially the gussets are giving you a false sense of it fitting. The 42, assuming they don't go too far off the tolerance range, should fit you perfectly with almost the same look but less stress on those pressure points.

It does look pretty darn good though, but you know that slight bit of doubt is going to only grow more.

There's always the wet pillow trick some of us have used to get that extra half inch, but the gussets might get messed up.

Guppy, JoeNiblick and ton312 like this.
  17. ton312

ton312

This my exact feeling too. I’ve had two older B’s that fit just like this, ordered a 42” and felt like I was swimming in it, despite it being marginally different in size!

Monitor likes this.
  18. mendelboaz

mendelboaz One Too Many

If I were you, I'd definitely wait until you can compare the two. At least then, you won't be left wondering if the 42 would have been better or not.

Khilij and sweetfights like this.
  19. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Such a small difference is body weight oct 30 to body weight jan 2

ton312 likes this.
  20. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Not sure if I should even go there but I will…
    What about the back length? Now it looks great in the photos you posted but I thought I remembered you saying that a back length that short meant the jacket was not going to hang around long.

ton312 likes this.