Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is it ok to wear a navy blue hat like a Fedora or Homburg? What about black?

kolchak

New in Town
After doing some reading I am still very confused about this point. It seems black shoes with a Navy suit is fine. But what are the rules governing a dark navy hat? I am looking at a Christy's Homburg and it is very dark navy. Would one wear this only with a navy suit or coat? Is the black hat the more versatile one? I know things have changed over time but Christy's makes these for the attire conscious crowd so there must be some guidelines.

Any thoughts?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
for the attire conscious crowd so there must be some guidelines.
Who is that? Interwebs fashion bloggers? You bet there are guidelines.

I agree that navy is very versatile. But I would advice you not to wear a navy blue hat with neon colored flip flops. This just looks wrong. Don't believe the hype.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Who is that? Interwebs fashion bloggers? You bet there are guidelines.

I agree that navy is very versatile. But I would advice you not to wear a navy blue hat with neon colored flip flops. This just looks wrong. Don't believe the hype.

:eeek: Wow, I was dangerously close to doing that. I'm glad to get this warning. Who knew? :D

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I realised I came across like a "troll". Sorry.
It was not directed towards kolchack but the obsession with "rules" you see on some pages. Just relax and decide for yourself if it looks good. If it does: Wear it.
You can't please all the people at all the times.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I tend to match my hat to my top coat, so black top coat, black hat; tan top coat, brown hat. If I'm not wearing a top coat I tend to wear a mid-grey hat with most suits, and brown with tweeds. I don't own a navy blue hat, and (at least for me) I can't imagine a situation where I'd wear one. But then my idea of casual is a bow tie, or perhaps striped socks...

Edward

Bartender
I have a navy blue Italian fedora somewhere. Wear it quite a bit with a navy blazer when it gets warm enough for no overcoat but still cool enough for felt. I find it less versatile than the black, myself, but that's to personal taste. If it looks good, wear it. I'm always on the lookout for a good couple of black tie rigs in midnight blue, and I'd wear a midnight homberg with that.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
There is a grand old navy blue homburg that I gave to a good friend of mine.

Navy has its place, if you watch Get Low with Bill Murray you'll notice the navy homburg paired with his navy suits. This wasn't often done since blue usually only went with blue back in the day, but they did as many variations then as they do now.

Black would be the easy choice, but if youhave blue to wear and you want to wear a homburg, I suggest you go with what just works!

Get-Low-movie-image-Bill-Murray-6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff