Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When replying with quote

A suggestion that comes up frequently but worth repeating...

When replying with quote to a recent post with many photos, please do not repeat post all the photos. It takes up much space and causes threads to load more slowly. Best way to avoid this is to edit the quoted post to remove the photos, leaving the pertinent copy and perhaps a single photo to reference the original post. If you are working from a mobile device and editing the quoted post is too cumbersome, just make a reference to the original post in your reply without quoting. We will get it.

Thank you!

A suggestion that comes up frequently but worth repeating...

When replying with quote to a recent post with many photos, please do not repeat post all the photos. It takes up much space and causes threads to load more slowly. Best way to avoid this is to edit the quoted post to remove the photos, leaving the pertinent copy and perhaps a single photo to reference the original post. If you are working from a mobile device and editing the quoted post is too cumbersome, just make a reference to the original post in your reply without quoting. We will get it.

Thank you!

Bless you, Alan!

g.durand

One Too Many
I suspect that some are daunted by that page of HTML tags in front of them when they attempt to reply with a quote to a post. Leaving or removing one tag too many can prevent the reply from posting correctly.

Perhaps a tutorial is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viclip

Practically Family
Bear in mind that the relevant text portion of posts can be selected/highlighted thence copied & pasted into a reply post.
That way you can avoid working with HTML tags altogether if Web page programming isn't your forte.

Perhaps a tutorial is in order.

A good thought.

When you hit Reply With Quote you generate a window like the example below. The highlighted text shows what can be deleted or edited while leaving the correct HTML anchors to display the quote.

replyexample1.jpg

In the example below, I've hit Reply With Quote to a post with a photograph and selected the HTML tag that references the photo. Deleting this text will yield a quote with the word "Dunlap" but without reposting the original photo.

replyexample2.jpg

Try it.

g.durand

One Too Many
Perfect, Alan. Thank you.

Everyone, if you need to repost a photo as a reference, by all means do so. But as everyone else has said, for the sake of space and page load time, especially for those of us using mobile devices, let's try to keep the reposting of photos to a minimum.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
another thing that will make threads much more comfortable to look at

when replying to many threads ... for example if you are thanking people for comments they made on your pics ... instead of replying to every post separately hit the little quote button on all the posts you want to reply to then hit reply to thread and you can put them all in one post

see pics below

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

and also edit the posts you are replying to to specifically the part you are replying to instead of quoting the entire 3 paragraph post to say thank you to a comment at the very end of it ...

just little pet peeves of mine :)

hope this helps

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
With this new system, I haven't figured out how to quote and reply to anything, so I'm not posting much now. I've tried several times by hitting "quote" but not seeing anything happen.

With this new system, I haven't figured out how to quote and reply to anything, so I'm not posting much now. I've tried several times by hitting "quote" but not seeing anything happen.

When you hit <quote> underneath the message you would like to quote, you'll see an option under your reply window <insert quote> Tap this and you will see a preview of the quote (or quotes) that can be inserted into your reply. Once added, the quote can be edited much in the way it would have been done on the old site... you can edit copy, delete photos, etc.

Hope that helps.

rogerstg

A-List Customer

If you simply hit the "reply" link in a post that you want to quote, the related message is automatically shown in your reply. It's like using the quote button in the old system. It took me a while to figure this out.

The +Quote link is for quoting multiple messages in your reply.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
:d:d:d<-----Those are supposed to be grins, but the system doesn't seem to be working.

When you hit <quote> underneath the message you would like to quote, you'll see an option under your reply window <insert quote> Tap this and you will see a preview of the quote (or quotes) that can be inserted into your reply. Once added, the quote can be edited much in the way it would have been done on the old site... you can edit copy, delete photos, etc.

Hope that helps.
OK, am walking through this...hopefully I'm doing it right. Thanks Alan, and all of you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points