Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find a nice sports coat or blazer?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I normally work from home so clothes dont matter and jeans, boots, a tshirt and a nice leather jacket are my daily wear...if I manage to get out of my lounge pants. I now have to fly down to a clients quarterly meetings with the executive types and look presentable.

At any rate, my problem is that I need pretty substantial tailoring done on any suits or sports coats I buy, so ordering over the internet and finding a local tailor ends up generally being much more expensive than going to a mens wearhouse, macy's or that sort of thing. It usually costs about $100.00 or more to have the tailoring done if I dont get it done at a store where I bought the coat. I live out in the country though and there arent many choices for clothing.

Im big on sales and clearance and could care less what this years style is as long as I get a good deal. Since I will only wear this 3 -4 times a year it really doesnt have to be fancy, but I do like nice material.

Should I continue to go local, or do I have any other options??

djhatman

One of the Regulars
If you have time try hitting the local second hands store. More then has of my blazer are from them and know one but me knows. They don't cost much and you can use the money for the tailoring.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I thought of Ebay, but you never know what you are going to get, or exactly how it will fit. At least with an online retailer I can return something.

As far as the second hand stores, thats not a bad idea, but usually I find they are short on selection for the larger sizes (I wear a 48 or 50 jacket). It seems second hand stores are great for people who wear small and medium sizes, but once you get to large and XL the options diminish substantially.

JLStorm said:
I normally work from home so clothes dont matter and jeans, boots, a tshirt and a nice leather jacket are my daily wear...if I manage to get out of my lounge pants. I now have to fly down to a clients quarterly meetings with the executive types and look presentable.

At any rate, my problem is that I need pretty substantial tailoring done on any suits or sports coats I buy, so ordering over the internet and finding a local tailor ends up generally being much more expensive than going to a mens wearhouse, macy's or that sort of thing. It usually costs about $100.00 or more to have the tailoring done if I dont get it done at a store where I bought the coat. I live out in the country though and there arent many choices for clothing.

Im big on sales and clearance and could care less what this years style is as long as I get a good deal. Since I will only wear this 3 -4 times a year it really doesnt have to be fancy, but I do like nice material.

Should I continue to go local, or do I have any other options??
check this out
Vampyre
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=170345707527

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
For inexpensive, JCPenneys and Burlington coat Factory could be worth keeping an eye on.

And concerning eBay, if you search for a sport coat or blazer in your size and see a style you like, you could end up with a few for 10 bucks a piece, plus shipping. If a couple are losers, you aren't out much, and hey! Spare sports coats have lots of potential on Halloween for the zombie crowd!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
www.blair.com

Their clearance section often has great deals, and tends to have items on the larger side.

Also, take a look at Target. Strange as that may sound. They often have some very nice inexpensive suits, if you're not looking for 100% wool, top-of-the-line stuff (I'm a college student, so deals like this stand out to me). I was there this afternoon and for $110 you could get a new three-piece suit. They had sizes that would match what you're looking for.

I also have to echo the sentiment on second hand shops. I used to wear a 48-50R and could often get great deals at places like Salvation Army, Goodwill, and area charity shops. You're not going to find something the first time you go, or maybe even not the second, but remember that stock is constantly rotated into these places. It becomes a "thrill of the hunt" sort of thing. Before I slimmed down (38-40R now), my suits were pretty much exclusively secondhand purchases.

Dan D

Familiar Face
Racing Green

I highly recommend Racing Green on-line: some nice quality sports jackets and linen suits that, if purchased out of season, can be bought cheaper still. I've a couple of their linen suits which are great for the summer, and a Super 100's brown with blue-check sports coat that's a real treat to wear, comfortable, and fits decently too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy