Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get a watch repaired?

mattface

Practically Family
Backstory:

When I was a young man I took to carrying a large pocket watch, partly as an affectation, but also largely in reaction to my habit of busting wrist watches. This migh not have backfired so badly if I hadn't bought a beautiful vintage silver chain to keep it on that had an unfortunate habit of opening of it's own accord, so every once in a while I would tug the thing out of the watch pocket in my levis only to have it fall out on the ground. EVERY time this happened it would break the crystal. lose the second hand and stop running. The first three times it happened I took it to a watchmaker and had it repaired, and resolved to keep a better watch on the threaded closure that had a habit of coming unthreaded. The last time it happened the watch maker I had been going to in Vermont had closed up shop, so instead I put it away and started wearing cheap timex watches which broke with about the same regularity and cost about as much to replace as the pocket watch did to fix.

Fast forward about 18 years, one of my watch repairmen is likely dead. the other guy I have no idea where he is, but he's not fixing watches in downtown Montpelier anyway. I'd like to get it fixed, but have no idea where to send it. So I'm seeking advice here. Are there any good watch repairers loungers have used that they can recommend? I definitely want to do this pocket watch asap, but I figure I'll also have some wrist watches and other pocket watches in the future in need of service.

thanks!
-Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112