Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to live in NYC?

Bebop

Practically Family
I have seen the question asked about San Francisco and L.A. and now I have the rare and unexpected opportunity to move to NYC on a 6-8 months a year basis that would last 5 or 6 years but have no idea at all what part of the city is reasonable as far as crime or price ( somewhere around $2500 a mo.?) I would be working from my home although that means going to different parts of the city everyday so I would like to live right in NYC. I am trying to gather opinions and facts from all sources. It seems everyone has a strong opinion on the NYC neighborhoods as I do on the S.F. neighborhoods. I know a lot of this depends on an individuals personal desires but just to get an idea from any of you New Yorkers would help. Any places you would avoid? Any places you would love to live? Any places you have loved living? I have never even visited NYC and am planning several trips in the next few months. :)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I've only been to NYC once (and loved it), but don't have an answer for your specific question.

But, it might be helpful to give further indication of your fiscal means. Are you expecting to pay for the place when you aren't there, or sublet it?

The main thing I've heard is it's very competitive and difficult to get apartments downtown.

The big question: How many bedrooms do you need? In Manhattan, $2,500 will get you a 1-2 bedroom in a good neighborhood. If you can deal with Brooklyn and Queens, you'll get 3 bedrooms, and possibly a terrace or yard, in a great neighborhood.

If you want to avoid hipster/yuppie trash, stay away from Williamsburg, Dumbo, and Lower East Side/East Village. Financial District and Midtown are dull at night. Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen might do you well. Upper East and West Sides are workable but just not very interesting as neighborhoods. West Village and Murray Hill may be above that $2,500 limit right now. Astoria (my neighborhood) is still fairly blue collar. Long Island City has been up and coming for years, but it still doesn't have a decent supermarket. Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill in Brooklyn are borderline hipster but still great neighborhoods. I should think $2500 will get you a 2BR there as well.

As in any city, neighborhoods and the crime rate can change on a corner. No matter what real estate agents say, stay away from Bushwick (now creatively being called 'East Wiliamsburg) and Red Hook. When I think of more, I'll post.

Regards,

Senator Jack

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I am Yuppie Hipster Trash and have lived in the East Village for 17 years. I like it here as there is plenty good food and fine looking Japanese women. It is expensive tho and $2,500 will only get you a small studio/"junior one bedroom".

Amelie

A-List Customer
I'd probably pick up the west village if I had to live in new york, it is such a charming neighbourhood (even though I kinda like east village too (hey that's where the barbara feinmann hat boutique is! :p)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It's been eons since I lived in NYC. My favorite place to live was Astoria/Long Island City, which was just across the river from Manhattan. I lived a block off Broadway Street there.

It was blue collar, safe, had great Greek restaurants and deli's, and, by train (in those days the RR), it was 13 minutes from Bloomingdales.

karol

Feraud

Bartender
K.D. Lightner said:
It's been eons since I lived in NYC. My favorite place to live was Astoria/Long Island City, which was just across the river from Manhattan. I lived a block off Broadway Street there.
I was born and raised in Astoria/L.I.C.
You might be surprised at the changes that have taken place since you left. Many of the two family homes have been bought, demolished, and replaced by condos.
We still have our Greek restrurants for now.

Bebop

Practically Family
Senator, thanks for your your point of view. That is exactly what I was requesting. Opinions based on personal experiences. I am more concerned with a neighborhood that has food, charm and is relatively easy on the eyes than with how many bedrooms. Since my better half decided she was tired of being the better part of the halves and I am living alone , I find myself living in only 1/3 of my 2000s/f home so a large studio or 1 bedroom sounds probable. As long as there is room for my office, my German Shepherd and my hats, I am a satisfied guy.

I am not too bothered by hipster/yuppy, trash. Quite predictable and easy to second guess. :) (I deal with attorneys way too much) Not being the social butterfly and being surrounded by them in S.F., it would not affect me much. I think I bother them more than they bother me. :D

Scotrace, $2500 could be a down payment on a house in Spokane and will get you an "ok" place in S.F. I have not rented in years and that may have changed but you are justified in using an exclamation point! It's crazy.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Feraud -- I heard that the RR stopped running, also. What do they have there now?

I left the place in 1983, probably lots of changes. I bet the building I was in was condo-ized.

Glad to know the Greek restaurants are still there.

karol

I've always thought Turtle Bay charming, too: Second ave to the East River around the U.N. Naturally, it's very cosmopolitan. Subway's kind fo far though. Of course, when I was a kid, I had always wanted to live on Gramercy Park (where Richard lives in Seven Year Itch) but I guess that's never going to happen.

Ray and I had drinks in Chelsea last night. Right on the corner where I used to live back in 1991. Where there was once a halfway house, there is now a magnificent hotel, and where there were once crackwhores, there now stand fatuous young women. Actually, there's a section of Chelsea around 27th and 9th that has a beautiful row of old apartment houses.

If you really want to live in Manhattan, you should look into:

Top Choices:

Gramercy Park
Turtle Bay
Chelsea
West Village (no matter what the people are like, it's still charming as all get out)

Places I wouldn't live but can still see how they appeal to people:

Tribeca
Soho

Neighborhoods you couldn't pay me to live in:

East Village
Lower East Side
Financial District
Midtown
Upper East and West Sides
Harlem (if you're going that far north, you might as well move to Brooklyn/Queens)

RIOT

Practically Family
I thought the crowd here was all about the yuppie/hipster thing? j/k!

Well if you care about my 2 cents. The closer you are to Manhattan the more expensive it gets. If you want night life, anywhere within Manhattan is fine, it's all about public transportation here. I personally prefer Brooklyn over Queens. As you are going to be working from home, you don't have to be right there where the action is but it does help to be within walking distance to some sort of a night life.

But if you are to brave the non "yuppie/hipster" scene, lemme know. It still exist, just went really underground. :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Brooklyn

I've been in Brooklyn 17 years now and I love it. I was in Carroll Gardens, which has yuppified a lot, but still has lot to offer, and "reasonable" rents. Then I was in Windsor Terrace, which has gotten pricey also, but which is much more family oriented. I wouldn't recommend it. I'm now on the edge of Park Slope. The Slope has a lot to offer, lower rents than Manhattan, but still up there. Where I am, near 5th Ave in Park Slope, is a little more varied. LOTS of great eateries, walking distance to the Smith Street (Boerum Hill) restaurants. Good transportation. I think Jack's suggestion of Boerum Hill is good, too. It's another nice Bklyn nabe, a little closer to Manhattan than Park Slope, and definitely within your price range.
If you can find something in Brooklyn Heights, you might like that, too. It's directly opposite lower Manhattan, so it's the first Brooklyn stop on all the trains. It's very much its own little world, a lot of history and classic brownstones. My girlfriend has lived in Bklyn Hts for about 30 years and would never leave.
Good luck! You have a small cadre of people who can help you find your feet here. That's a significant asset.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Sorry, Mud. It was my recent run-in with a Hipster/Yuppie Lawyer down on 6th that said 'Welcome to my neighborhood' that got me going on that again. Honestly, I don't know how you can still live in the East Village. My skin crawls every time I'm down there.

And I find Astoria dreary and boring. Different strokes I reckon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana