Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to look for vintage in London?

cambridgedrone

New in Town
I've been dressing classily for a while, but aside from a few accoutrements (cufflinks) the realm of vintage has been totally unexplored by me. So, could any of you UK-based loungers possibly be convinced to give me a few pointers on good places to look for vintage clothes in the old Metropolis? Ideally, places relatively affordable for a graduate student (if such there be), or if there are any places that are better for formal wear I'd especially love to learn about those.

Salv

One Too Many
There's a fairly comprehensive list here but it doeesn't seem to have been updated for a while.

These are two of my usual stops when vintage hunting -

Radio Days - 87 Lower Marsh, SE1, just behind Waterloo station. Mainly women's wear, but some good British mens suits and overcoats.

Beyond Retro - 110-112 Cheshire Street, E2, in a turning off Brick Lane. There are a few vintage shops along the road, but this is the best. I bought a mint condition, never worn, two-tone gold and green raincoat here for £25, and a '50s Woolrich hunting jacket in a dusty pink and brown check for £20. There's some good denim, a few decent shirts and the occasional gabardine jacket.

Also there are a few vintage shops along Brick Lane - two branches of Rockit and at least one more whose name escapes me.

And a good call by Lauren for Portbello Road - go on Saturday and wander around the stalls under the Westway at Portobello Green.

There are several shops in Covent Garden in the streets around Long Acre that aren't on that list I linked to at the top. I can't remember the names or exact locations but they're clustered in the area bordered by Long Acre, Sheldon Street, Mercer Street and Bow Street. See this map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR