Where were you 50 years ago when JFK was shot

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by gear-guy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. gear-guy

gear-guy Practically Family

50 years ago this week JFK was shot in Dallas. Do you remember where you were at or what you were doing? I was living in Albuquerque NM. at the time and was walking home from school and when I entered the house my mom was watching T.V. and crying. It seems like yesterday.

2. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I was 4 years old. I don't have a memory of it.

3. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

I was 10 years old and I remember sitting and watching the funeral on TV as with 9/11 that was all that was on the 3 tv channel's that where available at the time.

4. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I was two years old at the time. I don't have any memories of the assassination coverage, but I do recall seeing stills from the Zapruder film in the November 29, 1963 issue of Life Magazine.

5. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

I was in the 2nd grade. We had just come in from lunch recess when the principal announced over the intercom that the President had been shot or killed...I can't remember which. My most vivid memory is that my teacher immediately started sobbing...so much so that the teacher from the room next door had to take over our class. Very frightening to a kid who had just turned eight.

AF

6. Matt Crunk

Matt Crunk One Too Many

Sorry, I wasn't born until '66.

7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I was sitting in my playpen on the living room floor, obliviously chewing away on the lead paint while my mother screamed hysterically after hearing the news.

8. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

Wasn't thought of yet. :)

9. RBH

RBH Bartender

I was two...but I do remember the funeral on the TV.
    What stuck with me as a child was the horses pulling the hearse and that the adults were so upset.

10. Strapped-4-Cache

Strapped-4-Cache One Too Many

I'm in the same boat as Matt - born in '66.

11. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Interesting to hear where people were at the time.

I wasn't born, heck my mom wasn't even born lol

My dad was 3.

12. gear-guy

Welcome strapped! Enjoy the lounge.

13. I wasn't born yet either but my Dad was at work that day when my Mom called him and told him that President Kennedy was shot and that it was on TV.

14. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I was two, but grew up with it and have been fascinated by it ever since. I see the other JFK thread got shut down so I exit this will too. Why? Dunno.

15. gear-guy

Interesting!

16. Maybe we should all observe a No Conspiracy Theory Rule to keep this thread civilised.

17. gear-guy

Great idea, just thought it would be fun to find out where everyone was if they are old enough. I am excited to see that there are so many younger loungers taking interest!

18. Remember it well. I was home sick from HS with a cold and sore throat. Watched it on TV while laying on the couch. The sudden shocking sadness crept over everyone and seemed never ending. As other events unfolded emotions ran high and it wasn't unusual to see people crying at any place..any time. You could feel it all around. Such a great loss and no one knew what horror might be coming next.
    HD

19. DNO

DNO One Too Many

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in grade 7 and was with my class in a church basement. We were having phys ed (Catholic grade school, no gym) and doing jumping jacks when another student entered, obviously upset, and spoke to the teacher. The teacher made the announcement about Kennedy being shot. November 22nd continues to be a sad day for me.

20. newsman

newsman One of the Regulars

I wasn't born until 1972. But my dad is one of the navy men who marched in the funeral.

How time flies. Had dinner with him tonight.