Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which After Shave for a Summer Holiday?

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Dear Ladies and Gents,

Guess who's back … yes, it's me, Zachary!

Hope you're all doing fine so far. My missus and me booked our holiday the other day, we're heading towards Tenerife in Late July.

Plenty of preparations to do prior to that. Albeit I've been collecting a sufficient amount of, let me say it highfalutin, "expertise" on Gents' perfumes, I'm dark horse regarding after shave lotions. A very dark one.

There are only few after shaves who's acquaintance I've made so far. None of them seems adequate for those holidays.

"Jaguar" (Green) – decent, but too little elegant and not summery at all.
"Terre d'Hermès" – an excellent scent with no connection to subtropical weather whatsoever.
"Rituals 'Samurai'" – scents like a bathroom detergent.
"Knize Ten" – a classical from Vienna and perhaps one of the best signature scents of my city, but way too expensive for my means.

So now I'd like to inquire to you, my dearest fellow Gentlemen: If you were to travel to Tenerife, and you could take with you one after shave lotion only, which one would you choose?

Enjoy your evening!

Dapper greetings
Zachary

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are just two choices imho,

Bond

414FAJ33zxL.jpg

or infight.

^^^^^
I can’t recall when I last saw an advertisement for after shave. Is it that the market for it isn’t what it used to be? Very likely, I imagine. I can think of no one of my acquaintance who uses the stuff, whereas back when I was a kid even working class men kept it in their bathroom medicine cabinets.

Edward

Bartender
^^^^^
I can’t recall when I last saw an advertisement for after shave. Is it that the market for it isn’t what it used to be? Very likely, I imagine. I can think of no one of my acquaintance who uses the stuff, whereas back when I was a kid even working class men kept it in their bathroom medicine cabinets.

It could well be something that has just gone out of fashion. Maybe much of the market thinks of it as "girly perfume" now? I use to dabbled with aftershave in my mid-teens, though tbh by the time I was shaving daily I'd come to dislike it. A couple of years ago, the Chap magazine introduced a line of grooming accessories. https://thechap.co.uk/product-category/shop/grooming/ I am now on my second jar of Flaneur after-shave balm, and I like it very much. A subtle, fresh fragrance. A little goes a long way - I use it on both chin and over my head. Dispells any threat of shaving-rash pronto. Very effective, and a little goes a long way. I had been looking for an entirely unperfumed one, but this one is subtle enough that it works great for me.

Turnip

I use one after any shave, so once a week to twice a month and I would not know anyone who doesn’t.

What isn’t common practice anymore is that almost anynew scent coming out is always flanked by a matching after shave like about 40 years ago at this end.

I subscribed to Esquire because it was offered at an almost-giveaway price, and I recalled it featuring excellent writing BITD, when I last read it on a semi-regular basis.

I mention this because if there is any place after shave might be advertised, it would be in the pages of Esquire, a magazine geared toward a predominantly male audience. But if such products are advertised therein, it has escaped my notice, seeing how the magazine rarely spends more than a few minutes after its retrieval from the mailbox before it is relegated to the recycling bin.

The magazine has changed, and so have I.

If I were 30 or 40 years younger, the stuff the magazine covers — fashion, celebrity features, that sort of fluff —might be of more interest to me. But probably not.

Last edited:

Turnip

RH one currently in use, LH one for summer and summer holidays in Spanish mainland.

ASL.jpg

Turnip

Dear Ladies and Gents,

Guess who's back … yes, it's me, Zachary!

Hope you're all doing fine so far. My missus and me booked our holiday the other day, we're heading towards Tenerife in Late July.

Plenty of preparations to do prior to that. Albeit I've been collecting a sufficient amount of, let me say it highfalutin, "expertise" on Gents' perfumes, I'm dark horse regarding after shave lotions. A very dark one.

There are only few after shaves who's acquaintance I've made so far. None of them seems adequate for those holidays.

"Jaguar" (Green) – decent, but too little elegant and not summery at all.
"Terre d'Hermès" – an excellent scent with no connection to subtropical weather whatsoever.
"Rituals 'Samurai'" – scents like a bathroom detergent.
"Knize Ten" – a classical from Vienna and perhaps one of the best signature scents of my city, but way too expensive for my means.

So now I'd like to inquire to you, my dearest fellow Gentlemen: If you were to travel to Tenerife, and you could take with you one after shave lotion only, which one would you choose?

Enjoy your evening!

Dapper greetings
Zachary

And? What did it end up with?
How was your time on Tenerife?
Question after question…:D

Turnip

Even better, it makes you also look very sexy, sportive and decades younger.

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Dear Fellow Gentlemen,

Thank you for your advice. I bought a flacon of Floris No. 89 today and couldn’t be happier with it.

Albeit I was required to borrow a mortgage for this kind of investment …

Have a lovely summer anyone!
Zachary

Oh man, after a long while old fashioned german Pitralon classic "with cedar oil".

Still extra refreshing menthol fun!!

Nothing beats old Barbershop splashes. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112