Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which brown cowhide do you like the best?

Colin G

One Too Many
I am looking at brown cowhide in darker shades for a future jacket purchase and have narrowed it down to these two choices:

Right now, I am liking the more smooth, darker hide the best, followed closely by the slightly lighter hide. I am unsure of exact thicknesses yet on the different colours or if they are all the same.

I know a lot of guys here like a real grainy hide with character, but I tend to gravitate more to smoother finishes and have them get their own character with years of use.

I may just need to flip a quarter to decide. Which one do you like best?

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks ton. I know the picture is not the greatest but that dark is my first choice and the one I keep coming back to.

Will be for a cross zip type jacket similar a Hooch Hauler and I think the dark will suit that style more. For my liking anyway.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I'd choose lighter brown from the right side. More charisma, more grain, more "vibrant" surface.
The darker one on the left side looks a bit too plain to my taste.
It's the first impression of both leathers by itself.
But for cross zipped MC jacket the darker leather (left) might be more suitable, I agree with the most members over here in this case.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a fan of either but of the two, the lighter on the right. The darker brown appears dull & lifeless, on my screen anyway. It doesn't help that both hides are not of particularly good quality.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
They both look like very earthy browns, i would look at them in sunlight and pick the ones with the most reddish undertones.
That's the point.
First impression - lighter one (right) is a bit more interesting of two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk