Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
There's always an uptick in mainstream fashion's interest in vintage when MadMen is airing. When season 4 starts, there will be lots of articles about how to get the look. With each passing season, it's drifting more and more into the common awareness. It's now not uncommon to find shirtdresses and full skirted dresses at Target and Walmart. But fashion is somewhat slow to change, despite how quickly fads come and go.

lostinthe50's said:
I guess I'm just lost in the 50's. Bad thing is my parents were the one's who grow up in the 50's not me. I guess I am just wishful of the days gone by and wish that times were different. Times when family, friends, and neighbors were valued and not just used. Times when it was a big deal for you and your lady to go out on the town, and it was ok to open her car door without her feeling like you are tryig to treat her like a child. Sorry all just venting...hope everyone has a glorious day.:rage:

I think you have definitely found a niche here. A lot went awry in the 1960s and then hit the fan in the 70s. :(

It seems 63 and earlier was the great years, at least in my opinion. Seems the ways of the world began to change around the time of the British Invasion, and the wholesome world of old was left in shreds by the end of the Nixon years.

Again, this is just the speculations and observations of a guy who wasn't even alive until the Bush Sr. Years. I listen to my elders' stories of what the world once was. Personally, I think that style and what has happened to the world go hand in hand. It seems as the clothes became less proper, so did people, or the other way around, it happened rather fast.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
All this talk of the increase in the general acceptance of casual attire as the years had passed by in the 1960s and 1970s got me thinking. I'm curious, do you consider yourself a non-conformist or a conformist?

I'm a bit torn, quite frankly, when it comes to categorizing myself. I have considered myself rather a conformist and conservative person for most if not all of my life. However, in just one year alone, I found myself gradually becoming more and more "retro," obviously at least in part due to the influence of this board, but my personal preferences are definitely an influence. This includes fedoras, more dress shirts, khakis, slacks, ties, and a fairly classic choice of jeans (pretty cheap, but retro looking unwashed "rigid" Levi 505s). I think it's apparent now that I'm not exactly a conventional college student when it comes to my choice of clothing. Even in my political science course, a girl had remarked that I'm not like other people my age, and several others over time have complimented my choice of hat. Apparently, I've developed my own sense of style by now, which basically consists of a classic and retro-inspired wardrobe.

With all of this in mind, I'm beginning to think that I'm not quite as conformist as I have previously believed (although my political and moral beliefs may be considered "conformist"). While I don't really consider myself a member of an organized "sub-culture," I've got a feeling that I have a tendency to stand out in the crowd, at least somewhat.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
J B said:
All this talk of the increase in the general acceptance of casual attire as the years had passed by in the 1960s and 1970s got me thinking. I'm curious, do you consider yourself a non-conformist or a conformist?

I think there is no greater conformity than the conformity of non-conformists -- which is why I don't consider myself one. Non-conformists seem to care a very great deal what other people think of them -- they *want* to shock or outrage the mass culture, or maybe just get people to look at them and say "whoa, that person is out there." Nuts to that.

Me, I couldn't care less what the current mass culture thinks, because it's not *my* culture, and I ignore it to whatever extent possible. I consider myself independent.

As far as acceptance of casual attire goes, it depends a lot on where you are. I went to high school in a small town in the late '70s, and if anyone had showed up for class wearing a t-shirt and torn jeans, they would have been sent home to change. No questions asked, just leave and don't come back until you're properly dressed. We were issued a written dress code each year, and compliance was enforced. It wasn't just for the kids, either -- the male teachers were expected and required to wear coats and ties, and the women wore appropriate professional clothes. A teacher in jeans was as unthinkable as a teacher dancing naked down the corridor.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
J B said:

In appearance, I'm pretty much conformist with a bit of flair. I don't want to attract attention, but I don't want to look like everyone else or look in the mirror and go "Blech" either. My look is classic and vintage-inspired for work and dancing, but my casual clothes are up to date without being faddish.

I feel like I conform to a point. As much as I would like to wear slacks and a fedora all the time, I live in a small, rural community. I wear nice dark blue jeans and cowboy boots usually or dress shoes and slacks if the occasion calls for it. The fedoras come out in the winter to keep my head warm. I do always wear vintage, or vintage inspired shirts however.

phinz

New in Town
I love that the rockabilly fashion that has become popular is trying to revive many of the '40s and '50s fashions. There are few women more beautiful than Bernie Dexter, who is the premier pinup models these days, and seeing many of these young ladies wearing fashions and hairstyles from six decades ago and does my heart good. I love a rat rod show, tiki convention and rockabilly show for just this.

The current "styles" are the worst, afaiac. Muffintops are nasty, and I don't want to see your assets hanging out all over the place.

Feraud

Bartender
J B said:

The older I get the less it matters. :)

enigmata-wood

New in Town
this decade because it's now 'cool' to borrow and mix styles from every other decade - but especially if it looks mis-matched [to show your 'rad' attitude dude] translation: "posturing to display lack of respect for any tradition over lack of original thought"

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, let's try something else for a change. What do you believe that the future has in hold for fashion in relation to the dress of the common man?

Here's some of my thoughts:

2010s: So far, this decade is similar to the 2000s, particularly the latter half. Our current decade may actually turn out to be more favorable for hats than the last, perhaps, but everyday clothing may still be very casual, with new trends being constantly introduced, just like the last decade.

2020s: This decade may not be all that different from now, but it will carry with it it's own characteristic fashion trends (many of which will likely be of bad taste). We'll have to wait and see, really.

2050s: This is just a personal theory of mine. Jumping ahead here to the 2050s, if current, decades long trends are of any indication, the future isn't looking too bright for the necktie, and they may effectively be almost entirely phased out as a "required" or "obligatory" item of apparel by then, or perhaps even before earlier. At least among today's and tomorrow's younger generations that weren't born in the 20th century... I'd imagine there will still be people wearing ties, especially of older generations, but younger people will pick up on it to be different too.

What are your thoughts on the future of "average, everyday" clothing? Would you be inclined to agree that our own current decade is going to be more favorable for (brimmed) hat wearing?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Honey...

J B said:
Alright, let's try something else for a change. What do you believe that the future has in hold for fashion in relation to the dress of the common man?

Here's some of my thoughts:

2010s: So far, this decade is similar to the 2000s, particularly the latter half. Our current decade may actually turn out to be more favorable for hats than the last, perhaps, but everyday clothing may still be very casual, with new trends being constantly introduced, just like the last decade.

2020s: This decade may not be all that different from now, but it will carry with it it's own characteristic fashion trends (many of which will likely be of bad taste). We'll have to wait and see, really.

2050s: This is just a personal theory of mine. Jumping ahead here to the 2050s, if current, decades long trends are of any indication, the future isn't looking too bright for the necktie, and they may effectively be almost entirely phased out as a "required" or "obligatory" item of apparel by then, or perhaps even before earlier. At least among today's and tomorrow's younger generations that weren't born in the 20th century... I'd imagine there will still be people wearing ties, especially of older generations, but younger people will pick up on it to be different too.

What are your thoughts on the future of "average, everyday" clothing? Would you be inclined to agree that our own current decade is going to be more favorable for (brimmed) hat wearing?

...where are my formal shorts and sandals?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
At least among today's and tomorrow's younger generations that weren't born in the 20th century... I'd imagine there will still be people wearing ties, especially of older generations, but younger people will pick up on it to be different too.

What are your thoughts on the future of "average, everyday" clothing?

Around here, I see far more younger folk wearing neckties and jackets than I do folks born before 1975. Older people seem to view suits and ties as something you suffer through the day in, so you can change into jeans or worse when you get home, whereas younger people seem to enjoy showing a little bit of style and class.

Who knows. Maybe they'll grow out of it.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112