Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Do You Use - Wrapping Paper or Gift Bags

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I've been wrapping presents this afternoon and was wondering what those of you who celebrate Christmas use to put your own presents in - gift wrap or bags? Personally, I think a nicely wrapped present is so much prettier than a gift bag. When I was younger I loved to wrap presents, I could do it for hours. Unfortunately, with age came arthritis in my hands and knees so it's difficult for me to sit and wrap presents for any length of time now days. These days I wrap a few and when I get tired, I use gift bags. What about you?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
For me, it depends on the occasion. I like to use gift bags in an informal kinda "here's your present, enjoy" setting, while I like to use wrapping paper when I want a present to look nice and presentable to the recipient.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I like to wrap them. It's not difficult once you master the knack. I think it shows you care, and adds a festive touch. Same with adding a card. Always with a few words of hand written sentiment.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
These are my "rules":
Gifts for my husband and I go in bags I made out of fabric. They are like pillow sacks, with drawstrings, made out of holiday fabrics (think reindeer, lights, trees, etc.). I did this several years ago when I looked at the pile of paper my husband and I were throwing out (I hate waste like that). We're adults, wasting trees like that rubbed me wrong (as did spending the money). This makes "wrapping" or "bagging" really simple; I just pull out the bags and dump in the gifts.

Gifts for my daughter are wrapped because she's not even two yet and loves ripping wrapping paper. Until she's a teen (or 12 or something) she'll get paper wrapped gifts. Gifts from Santa tend to be wrapped with Santa themed paper. They are wrapped poorly. You know those elves, they have small hands and get tired wrapping so many gifts.

Gifts for other people are in paper and only go in gift bags if I am reusing the gift bag or it is something odd or lots of little things.

The only exception to this is really big gifts. My daughter is getting my old childhood toy kitchen for this Christmas, plus a matching hutch I picked up at a garage sale for $3. We may throw a sheet over these things.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
"Brown paper packages tied up with strings" . . .

I always wrap mine in thick brown wrapping paper and tie them up with twine.
Depending on who it's for and the occasion, it might have an attached card sealed with red sealing wax for a special touch.

Of course, this was inspired by a line from the song "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.
[video=youtube;9wDj4gH10ak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wDj4gH10ak[/video]

ClassyMica

New in Town
I've been wrapping presents this afternoon and was wondering what those of you who celebrate Christmas use to put your own presents in - gift wrap or bags? Personally, I think a nicely wrapped present is so much prettier than a gift bag. When I was younger I loved to wrap presents, I could do it for hours. Unfortunately, with age came arthritis in my hands and knees so it's difficult for me to sit and wrap presents for any length of time now days. These days I wrap a few and when I get tired, I use gift bags. What about you?

I enjoy wrapping gifts, it's a nice way to relax...for me anyway. I will use a gift bag if I am in a rush and forgot to wrap a gift so I always have a few spare bags handy that I store in my closet...generic ones as they can be used in any occasion. Plus there is something about a well wrapped gift that is satisfying.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I'd like to say wrapping paper, but.... Gift bags do have some great flexibility too. Matter of fact, I just bought one tonight to give a graduation gift in. But, in the interest of the preservation of the vintage/genteel lifestyle I'm a HUGE believer in hand-written greeting cards to accompany any gift. Even when no gift is involved.

hatguy1

One Too Many
These are my "rules":
Gifts for my husband and I go in bags I made out of fabric. They are like pillow sacks, with drawstrings, made out of holiday fabrics (think reindeer, lights, trees, etc.). I did this several years ago when I looked at the pile of paper my husband and I were throwing out (I hate waste like that). We're adults, wasting trees like that rubbed me wrong (as did spending the money). This makes "wrapping" or "bagging" really simple; I just pull out the bags and dump in the gifts.

Gifts for my daughter are wrapped because she's not even two yet and loves ripping wrapping paper. Until she's a teen (or 12 or something) she'll get paper wrapped gifts. Gifts from Santa tend to be wrapped with Santa themed paper. They are wrapped poorly. You know those elves, they have small hands and get tired wrapping so many gifts.

Gifts for other people are in paper and only go in gift bags if I am reusing the gift bag or it is something odd or lots of little things.

The only exception to this is really big gifts. My daughter is getting my old childhood toy kitchen for this Christmas, plus a matching hutch I picked up at a garage sale for $3. We may throw a sheet over these things.

tuppence

Practically Family
I just recycle all the gift bags people have given to me, then resort to wrapping paper for anything left over. I don't need much anyway as I mostly just slip money into a card.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Your post reminded me of how little ones sometimes enjoy playing with the wrapping paper or the box more than they do the gift.
My girl is now 5 (starting kindergarten in the fall!) And I have an almost 3 year old (in a week). The wrapping paper makes the gift; theres nothing more satisfying than seeing your kid over the moon at opening a gift... sometimes it can be a dollar gift but wrapped that makes it fantastic priceless gift.

EvaS

New in Town
My girl is now 5 (starting kindergarten in the fall!) And I have an almost 3 year old (in a week). The wrapping paper makes the gift; theres nothing more satisfying than seeing your kid over the moon at opening a gift... sometimes it can be a dollar gift but wrapped that makes it fantastic priceless gift.
Soo true!!!

PinellasPaul

New in Town
I suppose my mother hated wrapping presents, so when I was young, she paid me a nickel or dime to wrap each one. I didn't mind the opportunity to earn a bit of coin. She was a demanding customer though. She would tolerate no sloppy work and over the years brought me up to, what I imagine would be, professional standards of 50 years ago.

I still put my best effort into wrapping, unlike my wife, who expends her excellent efforts in other areas.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We can't have children so that experience will never be our's. And being in my 70's I have become rather cynical of the spendfest that Christmas has become. All I ever buy for, is my wife, she gets her favourite perfumes, and usually a box of useful or useless gifts, it depends how much time I have to shop. But every year she gets a wad of cash with a long love letter, and an expression of gratitude for all that she is and all that she does. In 50 years I have never stopped writing love letters to her. She knows that if something catches her eye she can overspend on the purchase if she so wants to, the lady is priceless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ