Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which leather jacket for desert climate?

plainsman

Familiar Face
I moved recently to a desert climate. I did not bring my aero horsehide nor my vanson, but i miss leather jacket. So, which leather jacket would you suggest for desert climate?
If I were reasonable, I would say no leather jacket at all. But this forum is not for reasonable people, isn't it? ;)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think it really depends on you!
Personally i can't wear a leather jacket if is is more than 23c, i just turn into a sweaty mess in no time.
My summer jacket is my ELMC Californian, it has thin leather, and a very thin very breathable rayon liner.
I wear it up to around 20c, but if it gets warmer than that i usually just wear a T shirt.

My recomendation would be something with a thin leather and a breathable lining.
Don't underestimate the lining, both my Californian and my Buco J-100 have the same weight leather and a rayon lining. The californian is super thin and super breathable, the Buco is super thick and feels like wearing a sweat suit in summer.

Something like the Mr Freedom Campus jacket would be good too, lightweight, unlined, and the desert sun would have it tanned and looking awesome in no time!

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Vanson produces jackets in a fully perforated leather, in a number of styles. And as I understand it, they can use this material in several other models if requested.

Himel's Forbisher in goat! It is the lightest weight jacket that I've tried, but it's no whimpy mall jacket. If you got a cotton liner, you'd be good to go.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Have to admit this is one real benefit of living in northern Iowa - long season for leather jacket wearing!

For the desert I would think you may have to design something interesting - lost of perforated panels, lighter colors, and as breathable of lining as possible. The jacket highlighted in the most recent Star Wars movie might be an idea. But a Vanson or Aero would be too much. Looser fit, flexible, etc. Good luck in the search...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe my goatskin G&B Expedition (Indy) jacket, which is fairly loose fitting and lightweight. Good enough Harrison Ford / Indiana Jones. :cool:
harrison-ford-indiana-jones.jpg
Not a G&B but it's the idea that counts. :D

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
G&B have discontinued the Expo and now only do A2's and a few more by order.

I have a goat Indy - it's still too hot when the temp is over 65 degrees.

By the way that photo is a Tony Nowak in thick cowhide and looks too big and sloppy on Harrison.

CBI

One Too Many
A capeskin A-1 - almost like a leather shirt. Awesome looking jackets. The capeskin is super lightweight, not too warm.

BJC88

New in Town
By the way that photo is a Tony Nowak in thick cowhide and looks too big and sloppy on Harrison.
I still blame Ford's costume designer, Bernie Pollack, for that one. Tony Nowak, from what I have read, could've easily made a better fitting jacket. Why Pollack wanted a bulky, oversized costume, I will never know.

I have a Crystal Skull Nowak that I bought second hand l, and while I love the leather and layering room, I still need to get it taken in (sleeves/chest are too baggy).

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Pollack's costume design was as slack and lifeless as the film. Ford looks like one of those older men on the COW website in full cosplay gear.

plainsman

Familiar Face
Thank you for all the advice. I was thinking goat (i am afraid that capeskin would be fragile). I did not think initially on the importance of the lining, but that is a good suggestion.
I think it really depends on you!
Personally i can't wear a leather jacket if is is more than 23c, i just turn into a sweaty mess in no time.
My summer jacket is my ELMC Californian, it has thin leather, and a very thin very breathable rayon liner.
I wear it up to around 20c, but if it gets warmer than that i usually just wear a T shirt.

My recomendation would be something with a thin leather and a breathable lining.
Don't underestimate the lining, both my Californian and my Buco J-100 have the same weight leather and a rayon lining. The californian is super thin and super breathable, the Buco is super thick and feels like wearing a sweat suit in summer.

Something like the Mr Freedom Campus jacket would be good too, lightweight, unlined, and the desert sun would have it tanned and looking awesome in no time!

Himel's Forbisher in goat! It is the lightest weight jacket that I've tried, but it's no whimpy mall jacket. If you got a cotton liner, you'd be good to go.

Why Pollack wanted a bulky, oversized costume, I will never know.

...and it's just how most most people seem to prefer this jacket to fit, while it certainly wasn't like that in the film! At least not in the first film.
There's a damn good reason why everyone noticed the jacket.
indy-ct3-62014.jpg

Edward

Bartender
An Indy is what I thought of too. mine is a Wested Raiders, in goat. I've worn it in 22 Celsius or thereabouts - that was in Dehli, in February 2013. It was a bit on the hot side for me, but it was the one jacket I had with me with a secure, zip pocket, and I'm always wary of where my wallet is in any crowded place, no matter where I am in the world.

625601_10151323876652260_181299680_n.jpg

561251_10151323877257260_1924506294_n.jpg

I was looking for a warmer weather jacket when I stumbled on this on eBay. It's a lighter goat than the Aero goat, without having the fragility that has always made me wary of lamb. It's sruvived quite a lot of long haul flying with me too. Can't go wrong, even at the new price, though if you can buy used they're a real bargain. Great design for warmer weather: no knits, lets it breathe. The one thing I would do differently if I bought another new would be I'd ask for cotton lining in the sleeves - the satiny stuff doesn't breathe, and that can get sticky.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
...and it's just how most most people seem to prefer this jacket to fit, while it certainly wasn't like that in the film! At least not in the first film.
There's a damn good reason why everyone noticed the jacket.
indy-ct3-62014.jpg
Actually that is from the second film where some of the jackets were fitted. In Raiders the jacket was baggy too and fit way off the shoulders. But Ford was younger and looked less wretched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21