Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which looks better -- a Stetson Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash?

Which looks better -- a Stetson Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash?

• The Stetson Open Road

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • The Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Something else (please elucidate)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • A Vintage Stetson Open Road

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • The Peters Bros. Shady Oaks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Seriously if you thinking of a cattlemen, many/most of the Open Roads I've seen here on The Lounge have been in the Cattleman style. The Camp Drafts on the other hand often appear in other permutations. Purely a matter of personal choice.

RJR

You asking about vintage OR or modern (since the late 70's)? A Campdraft IS a vintage OR. Modern OR (except for recent Royal Deluxe OR) is too low crown for anything but a cattleman/alpine crease IMHO.
I love the crown of a CD since you have enough to work with to do other creases like C, Tear Drop, Diamond, etc.
I agree.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
You asking about vintage OR or modern (since the late 70's)? A Campdraft IS a vintage OR. Modern OR (except for recent Royal Deluxe OR) is too low crown for anything but a cattleman/alpine crease IMHO.
I love the crown of a CD since you have enough to work with to do other creases like C, Tear Drop, Diamond, etc.

Thanks, much, I really appreciate your informative reply. I should have asked the question: "Which do you prefer -- a Stetson Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash?" because what I actually asked obviously twisted some peoples' panties... Thanks again.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, much, I really appreciate your informative reply. I should have asked the question: "Which do you prefer -- a Stetson Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash?" because what I actually asked obviously twisted some peoples' panties... Thanks again.
...?

Wasn't the Campdraft formerly badged and sold under licence as a Stetson?
For a period of time Akubra was licensed to produce the Stetson Open Road for the Australian market. When that ended they simply replaced the Stetson logo with their own, changed the name to Campdraft, and kept making them. They may have made some minor modifications, but for all intents and purposes they're the same hat.

...I vote other: CD with a fedora bash.
This. I really don't care for the cattleman's crease on any hat.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I picked up a Stetson, 20x Open Road a couple of years ago from Paris Hatters. I have a couple of vintage 6x models, as well as several Campdrafts. It looks and feels like a finer grade of felt than any of the others, so I put my vote on the Stetson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch