Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which should have suspenders?

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I recently had suspender buttons put on some suit pants that I bought at Goodwill. They work great but I notice some trousers that I own seem like they would crush my "goods" if they were worn with braces. Are there a certain type of pants that aren't made for suspenders or are they all just made for use with belts now?

kpreed

One of the Regulars
jswindle2 said:
I recently had suspender buttons put on some suit pants that I bought at Goodwill. They work great but I notice some trousers that I own seem like they would crush my "goods" if they were worn with braces. Are there a certain type of pants that aren't made for suspenders or are they all just made for use with belts now?
I hope you are enjoying the Lounge and Welcome from me.
I use suspenders on all my pants not just "dress" pants, I have buttons on every pair I own. Never has my "goods" felt tight, maybe you wear your suspenders tighter then me.:eusa_doh:

Jan

One of the Regulars
I'd imagine that any pant with a low yolk or rise would be a bad choice for braces.
Maybe you need to adjust them? If they can't adjust any further, you might need to look for something that fits better.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jswindle2 said:

"Crushing the goods" means you've got the suspenders too tight. Lengthen the suspenders - they're adjustable.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Not with Suspenders

I meant I have pants (like a pair of George trousers) that seem cut a bit high in the inseam that I DO NOT wear with braces.I wondered if some modern trousers are meant to have them and some not.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe you should be able to wear suspenders on anything, if you chose (hey, even Bruno wore them on his shorts :p )

You'll need to make sure the pants fit to begin with. Then ensure your suspenders aren't too tight. Also, consider whether you need suspenders at all. Think of it like a belt - you can't blame the belt if your pants fit too tight. You either need a bigger belt, or bigger pants, or you may need to loosen the belt.

In any case, it sounds like something is too tight or too small. I say, loosen the suspenders first, before worrying about the pants.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I guess I'm not being clear

I'm sorry everyone. I guess my meaning isn't clear here.
I mean this-some trousers I own do not allow me to pull them to my waist like others do. I do not mean they are too small or tight anywhere. They fit great but when I pull some pairs to my true waist my junk(sorry ladies) is smashed.
I know some pants like Levi's jeans are made to ride on your hips instead of your waist. Therefore,braces are uncomfortable when worn with them.
I'm inquiring if some old and all modern dress pants are made the same way.
Hope that clears it up,
Jerry

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In order to wear trousers at your natural/true waist they must be cut with a high rise (the distance between the crotch and the waistband.) High waisted trousers are not in fashion currently but they can be found if you look around.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
That's what I meant

Tomasso said:
In order to wear trousers at your natural/true waist they must be cut with a high rise (the distance between the crotch and the waistband.) High waisted trousers are not in fashion currently but they can be found if you look around.

Where these more common in older and vintage suits and trousers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ