Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Shuron Frames Should I Get?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
After looking at Shuron frames on Frames Direct, I decided to Photoshop both the Shuron Freeway, and the Shuron Ronsir Zyl onto my face. If I were to get the Freeway, I would get them in brown smoke color. If I were to get the Ronsir Zyl, I would get tortoise color (sadly, not available in the Frames Direct photos.) I can't decide between these two frames.

My personal style is focused on 1945-1965. I focus mostly on 50s styles. I know that both styles were around then (I'm not sure if the Freeway was being made back then though), and I like them both equally. Which ones do you think I should get?

Freeway
wGmjeIU.png

aePTPDY.png

Ronsir Zyl
aZrKRrm.png

397YPP0.png

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I recommend the solid plastic ones, either freeway or my favorite sidewinder. To me they look better on you. For some reason the combination frames look too big.

Edward

Bartender
Both look good; do you have a preference? Can you stretch to one of each? (Thuogh at your age you might want to keep the spend down, til your eyes 'stabilise' - time enough for more frames when youre not gonig to be changing your prescription every year or two).

A practical consideration: all-plastic frames have the lenses inserted by heating them. Typically, an optician will only be prepared to lense up a pair of plastic frames twice - that's now, and a second lensing in a few years. This is because apparently after that they can't guarantee that the lense will sit securely in thed frame and not drop out at some unexpected moment. A frame where the lense is inserted by means of unscrewing and resecrewing a metal frame, on the other hand, can be relensed indefinitely. This is one of the reasons I switched to the Ronsirs myself over plastic.

Worth also buying your frames directly from Shuron - fantastic to deal with in my experience, and I saved GBP30 per pair of frames.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I was thinking of getting two pairs, one for glasses, and one for sunglasses. I suppose I could get one in the Freeway, and another in the Ronsir Zyl.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Did you get the Ronsir Zyl in a smaller size than the virtual frames you're "wearing" in the photograph? A few months ago, I went directly through Shuron. They sent me 4 sizes of each style, which was very helpful, of course. I ask because, for a true vintage look, you would go for Ronsir frames on the smaller side.

- Ian

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I don't think I made the sizes in the image quite correct, as if you look closely, you can see that the nose pieces aren't touching my nose. I got a size 50 22 140. My current glasses are 53 17 140, so they should fit about the same (my current frames were stretched wider a bit on the arms though.)

I like the tallness of the frames. Personally, I'm not a fan of shorter frames.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

I own the Shuron Freeway frames in brown, so I'll say you should get those. I haven't filled the frames yet, but when I do, I'd like to do them in glass instead of plastic for a more authentic look (to me anyway). I'm curious, though: what period is that style from? I know Buddy Holly wore similar black ones, but were they worn before the 50's?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Today, the glasses arrived! I think I will get the Ronsirs in transition lenses, and the Freeways in normal prescription lenses. :)

Tomorrow, I will probably take some more pictures (with better lighting.) :)

Shuron Ronsir ZYL in Tortoise

AOcZDaK.jpg

zPpJUwl.jpg

Shuron Freeway in Brown Smoke

uHi6U9r.jpg

54jPhag.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Look great! Joel, Shuron were the first company to sell the browline style when they put the Ronsir on the market in 1947; in the 50s and 60s, according to some, 50% of glasses sold in the US were browline style. The Freeways, from memory, debuted in the early 50s.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Both look real good, Joe! Freeways the best of the two on you, in my opinion. Again, both are great and look good on you. Nice choices!

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana