Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which type of hat for the season?

Txmason

Familiar Face
Howdy!

I'm Jerry and new to the FL and am so happy to meet everyone! I am ready to hopefully purchase my first hat, but not sure whether to purchase a fedora (for winter until April in Easter) or a hat for summer (after Easter). Which is the better option? As I do not have enough to invest in two hats one for what is left of winter and one for summer.

What are the rules of wearing a hat? As I've never worn one. What style of hat should I look at purchasing? I am a big guy 6'2". Are there any FL members from the The Woodlands/Spring Houston area? As I would enjoy talking to local members and getting help on what I should do in addition to the great advice here on FL.

Where is a reliable and good place to buy from either online or a store?

Thank you for all your help!

Best,
Jerry

masiaka

Familiar Face
The Woodlands is a great area; I visit family there about once a year. Hat etiquette is a trick thing. Some hold hard and fast to the rules. Some think they are a relic of the past. I personally think that it's okay to wear any hat any time of year so long as it's comfortable, but that a hat should be removed in the presence of a lady. It's mostly up to you to determine what level of... casualness (lack-of-manners just sounds bad) you are okay with.

If you are outside a lot then a felt hat would be too hot for East Texas, but in air conditioning it's not bad. Straw provides no warmth but it is more comfortable that felt in high heat and humidity. I don't know about the life expectancy of a good straw hat, but a mediocre or moderate straw hat will only last a year or two before fraying and cracking becomes a problem.My wool hat outlived 3 cheap straws before giving up the ghost though I ended up paying less for all 3 straw hats combined than I did for the wool hat.

As for where to buy, no idea. I don't have enough knowledge to give an accurate comparison.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
As far as the Deep South (Houston, Noo Awlins) goes, there are no seasons. We used to say N.O. had two seasons, January and SUMMER, but January has gone on a long boat trip and won't be back for a while. I wear my felts as much as I can in the less hot weather.

Straw is probably going to be the best for you if you're going for just one hat. A crisp fedora-style straw will look sharp whether you're dressed up or in casual clothes.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, first of all.

If you are in the Houston area, finding a hat store shouldn't be too much of a challenge and it is the best advice to go into a shop and try on some hats.

We've been discussing on another thread the advisability of getting Sunbody palm straws for the spring and summer because they are relatively inexpensive and take a lot of abuse. You can often find them in western wear shops.

And you can get great deals in many western wear shops on fur felt westerns that you can have the brims trimmed down to three inches or less, the crown reshaped into a fedora pinch and have a tough fedora for any wear.

Or you can find a good dress hat shop where they can fit you and let you try on lots of styles until you find what you think looks best.

Miller Hats has a Houston location, I believe.

Just because you try on a hat doesn't mean you have to buy it. And there is nothing like spending the better portion of a day trying on lots of hats to find out what suits you best.

Sam

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would go for a felt hat first, as it has the added functionality of shielding you from rain. However, if you think that you will get more out of a straw hat for summer, go for that. Panamabob has some great hats for great prices (all through the scale of fineness, depending on what you are looking for).

job

One Too Many
I'd go for a milan straw hat. They are tough and won't show sweat stains as bad as other types of straw. Then again you could buy 2 low end straw hats from PB for the price of a milan. I'm still partial to the milan type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21