Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whites Boots problem

John b

New in Town
About a year ago I purchased a pair of Whites simi-dress boots. Finally got em broke in, but lo and behold, the toe support insert (plastic) caved in.....not dropped or abused at all.
The store said after 6 months all bets on warranty are off.
Waiting for a return call from Whites.
So, anyone had this issue, and if so, what was your outcome?

Apparently I need to go to a different maker.

thanks,
John

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Do you have photos? Was it celastic toe structure or like a ASTM rated composite safety toe?

I never seen the toe structure break outside of catastrophic circumstances.

I did find this on White's website:
All White’s hand-sewn stitchdown, stitchdown, and Goodyear welted boots are unquestionably warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship one year from date of purchase.

I would definitely classify this as a material defect if they haven't had anything impact or damage the toe in a significant way and still fail. Wait and see what White's says, hopefully they can help you out.

John b

New in Town
Do you have photos? Was it celastic toe structure or like a ASTM rated composite safety toe?

I never seen the toe structure break outside of catastrophic circumstances.

I did find this on White's website:
All White’s hand-sewn stitchdown, stitchdown, and Goodyear welted boots are unquestionably warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship one year from date of purchase.

I would definitely classify this as a material defect if they haven't had anything impact or damage the toe in a significant way and still fail. Wait and see what White's says, hopefully they can help you out.
Thanks..so I wonder why "Whistlers" retail store told me 6 mos?

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Yes, White's warranty is one year, so I would contact White's directly if the retailer is stalling on you.

Photos would help - I assume this is a celastic toe (basically a resin=impregnated layer put in to hold the toe shape, not as a safety toe)? These will get softer as they take a beating, depending on what you use the boots for. Have you tried using a shoe tree to get the toe box back in shape?

2g4

New in Town
I have always had great luck communicating and getting help from Whites, so I'm surprised you are waiting for a return call. I guess I email a lot, but I've always had my calls answered during Spokane business hours. I'm sure that they'll will make it right, they're good like that. In this case, I doubt they make the plastic piece that they use so they will appreciate the feedback that the product has had an issue and will look for another maker if possible. They have to source a lot of different parts and like everyone else, it can be difficult. In fact, several years ago I was in their store in Spokane and they had a wonderful insulated pac boot deeply discounted (like $100, normally $500) so I snapped up a pair and asked what's up, guy explained that they had been sourcing the rubber soles of that boot from a place just over in Idaho and they'd stopped making/supplying them, so Whites was discontinuing that boot as a result. So anyway, stuff happens. But they're good, they'll back you up I'd guess. Looking forward to hearing about how it goes.

John b

New in Town
I have always had great luck communicating and getting help from Whites, so I'm surprised you are waiting for a return call. I guess I email a lot, but I've always had my calls answered during Spokane business hours. I'm sure that they'll will make it right, they're good like that. In this case, I doubt they make the plastic piece that they use so they will appreciate the feedback that the product has had an issue and will look for another maker if possible. They have to source a lot of different parts and like everyone else, it can be difficult. In fact, several years ago I was in their store in Spokane and they had a wonderful insulated pac boot deeply discounted (like $100, normally $500) so I snapped up a pair and asked what's up, guy explained that they had been sourcing the rubber soles of that boot from a place just over in Idaho and they'd stopped making/supplying them, so Whites was discontinuing that boot as a result. So anyway, stuff happens. But they're good, they'll back you up I'd guess. Looking forward to hearing about how it goes.
I did manage to get the repair shop when I called last Thursday. He found my boots, and said it would be this coming week before he could access the damage. I did not drop anything on the toe, as I'm sure it would have been a memorable moment. I'm not giving up on them, but I sure hope communicatons improve as to the progress. I'm prepared to pay for the repair, as long as it reasonable. Otherwise I'm looking for another pair of good boots with customer satisfaction. Will post more as info comes in.

2g4

New in Town
I did manage to get the repair shop when I called last Thursday. He found my boots, and said it would be this coming week before he could access the damage. I did not drop anything on the toe, as I'm sure it would have been a memorable moment. I'm not giving up on them, but I sure hope communicatons improve as to the progress. I'm prepared to pay for the repair, as long as it reasonable. Otherwise I'm looking for another pair of good boots with customer satisfaction. Will post more as info comes in.
I'd be surprised if you find anyone with much better customer experience than Whites. Some of the boutique places do, but you pay $2k-$3k and up, they make a few hundred pairs a year, so it's not a good comparison. I've been buying Whites for 25 years and my dad and grandfather did before me, and I've always had amazing customer experiences. Give them a few days, they'll make it right.

John b

New in Town
I'd be surprised if you find anyone with much better customer experience than Whites. Some of the boutique places do, but you pay $2k-$3k and up, they make a few hundred pairs a year, so it's not a good comparison. I've been buying Whites for 25 years and my dad and grandfather did before me, and I've always had amazing customer experiences. Give them a few days, they'll make it right.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We'll see what the coming days bring!

Edward

Bartender
Thanks..so I wonder why "Whistlers" retail store told me 6 mos?

Could be a mistake on their part. It's also possible they will only take returns purchased through them at that point - but that doesn't affect your warranty with the manufacturer (at least it shouldn't; I'm not up on US consumer law, however).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk