Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whites Packer Boots

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Figured I would start a new discussion on the Packer and Farmer-Rancher style boots. Other PNW "similar" boots, such as Nicks Rangers - welcome as well.

I snagged the following "11B" White's Packers off ebay last week for a pretty low price - about $160 USD shipped. I tossed an offer at the seller and they accepted it, and shipped it out the same day. So while I had not really been in the market for yet another PNW pair of boots, I am quite happy I took the chance. Photos were decent, and they represented the boots well.

This pair appears to be a pretty standard build for Packers - High arch last (690 as per their website) and Quabug heel over mini-Vibram soles. The logos stamped on the sides of the uppers are the older White's Boots Logo and there is not a date code stamped in either boot. So I suspect these are at least ~ 20+ years old. For being that old, there is quite little wear, only a couple small surface abrasions and a few scratches here and there. Even the heel strike, while present, is not very much to speak of.

Before I go further - I would like to comment on the 690 last these boots use. These are quite high of arch, higher than any other boots I have ever worn. There is a highly distinct "block" that seems to sit under your middle foot/arch area. This takes quite a bit to get used to if you have middle or low arches in your feet. My arches in my feel run "medium" so these are just a bit of a stretch on this pair of boots. Just wanted to alert people to this as it may not be to everyone's liking.

That said, here are initial photos of these boots as I received them:

IMG_9199.JPG
IMG_9207.JPG IMG_9212.JPG IMG_9215.JPG IMG_9209.JPG

Happily, these fit my feet perfectly!

After a good deep cleaning, new laces and some White's Boot Perseverative, they are ready for action....

IMG_9230.JPG IMG_9228.JPG IMG_9232.JPG IMG_9233.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9206.JPG
    IMG_9206.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 42

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
My whites semi dress have the most arch support of any footwear I’ve ever owned. It’s primarily why i bought them. My pancake flat feet love them.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Figured I would start a new discussion on the Packer and Farmer-Rancher style boots. Other PNW "similar" boots, such as Nicks Rangers - welcome as well.

I snagged the following "11B" White's Packers off ebay last week for a pretty low price - about $160 USD shipped. I tossed an offer at the seller and they accepted it, and shipped it out the same day. So while I had not really been in the market for yet another PNW pair of boots, I am quite happy I took the chance. Photos were decent, and they represented the boots well.

This pair appears to be a pretty standard build for Packers - High arch last (690 as per their website) and Quabug heel over mini-Vibram soles. The logos stamped on the sides of the uppers are the older White's Boots Logo and there is not a date code stamped in either boot. So I suspect these are at least ~ 20+ years old. For being that old, there is quite little wear, only a couple small surface abrasions and a few scratches here and there. Even the heel strike, while present, is not very much to speak of.

Before I go further - I would like to comment on the 690 last these boots use. These are quite high of arch, higher than any other boots I have ever worn. There is a highly distinct "block" that seems to sit under your middle foot/arch area. This takes quite a bit to get used to if you have middle or low arches in your feet. My arches in my feel run "medium" so these are just a bit of a stretch on this pair of boots. Just wanted to alert people to this as it may not be to everyone's liking.

That said, here are initial photos of these boots as I received them:

View attachment 574658
View attachment 574660 View attachment 574662 View attachment 574663 View attachment 574661

Happily, these fit my feet perfectly!

After a good deep cleaning, new laces and some White's Boot Perseverative, they are ready for action....

View attachment 574665 View attachment 574664 View attachment 574666 View attachment 574667

You did a good job bringing those back to life! I've never understood why folks spend all the money they do on upgraded White's boots with fancy leather or some such, then "force the patina" by intentionally beating the stuffings out of them and letting them dry out just so they look used. To each his own, I guess, but honest wear and good care are most appealing to me. For some reason I just love a warm oil-rubbed satin gloss sheen on wood and leather, much more than a high gloss shine.

The Packers do have a higher arch than my daily-wear Smokejumpers. I think they're more comfortable if I'm not doing heavy week on my feet, but the Smokejumpers are a much more comfortable boot for lots of walking and heavy work. It's certainly nice to have choices, and there are several good choices among the PNW boot makers, as long as you're willing to be patient! ;)

Yancy.41

New in Town
I really like Packers. Have a pair of Wesco with MP toe. Was interested in Whites at the time but the Wesco found their way to me on recommendation of Bakers Shoes.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I loved the look of the whites packers I owned, but unfortunately the Arch ease I couldn't get on with.felt like I was walking with a golf ball under my foot.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^Yes, I have felt that with a prior pair.
This feels like a couple quarters under the middle of my foot, so an improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner