Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Can Wear the Aero Barnstormer?

kronos77

One of the Regulars
This seems like a lot of jacket. Need you be big and/or tall to wear it? Do you think there are some people who might not do well with it. Is the double brasted aspect a problem for some people? Is it too warm?

I was checking out the photos and it looks great on some people but it is a big investment and i would like to hear from anyone familiar with it.

GuyLdeB

New in Town
I wear it as a motorcycle jacket, its brilliant for the job as I'm not a racer just a plodder and it looks pretty cool too IMO.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I suspect a small man could look odd in one. But you wouldn't pick that up in photos, only life - you need scale. My boss years ago was five feet five and bought a Highwayman style jacket in black. I didn't hate it but the office women laughed at him a fair bit. The view was he was compensating for his lack of inches by trying to look cool and/or manly. People will have different and strong views on this.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My guess is like almost anything, the jacket is a lot more wearable than it seems. I don't own one, but I wouldn't mind having one.

avique

One of the Regulars
I tried on a Barnstormer before I purchased my Hudson. Personally I liked the look and design of the jacket and I'm only 5'-10". I originally intended to buy a Barnstormer before Aero released the Hudson a few years back and I still think about getting the shawl collared version now and again.

markforce

New in Town
I own one, black FQHH and really like it. I am not a racer, I am wearing it on my commute or when out and about. I am 5'9 size 38. Essentially, I was after a double breasted leather jacket and fancied LW's leather pea coat for a while. Saw a few fit pics on the forum here and decided the collar was too wide/large for my liking. Also I didn't really like Aero's Mariner (particularly the faux belt, and lack of yoke on the front). Decided to go with the Barnstormer without the belt and loops for a bit of a leaner look. It still looked and felt boxy off the bat but as it has been breaking in/softening, it is fabulous.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think as long as you get one that fits well and isn't "too big" it won't matter if you are tall or short or whatever.

Of the pics I've seen, its one of the few jackets that I personally think looks better in black than brown.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have one in in black steer. I wear mine occasionally with the belt at the back but usually as standard and often with the pocket flaps tucked inside.
For non double breasted I wear a Teamster.
And here, very aptly, a visit to aero via Berwick on Tweed
PA210008-1.jpg

trapp

Practically Family
That jacket suits you perfectly, Rocketeer. Very nice.

Assuming a good fit, I've observed that a person's general attitude / demeanor / how he carries himself has much more to do with what jacket he can pull off than his physical dimensions. Being tall or short has very little to do with it.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I'm 5'8" and have had 3 Barnstormers .. they are great jackets and I think they look fine. I never used the belt ( it was always fastened at the rear).

My preference was always for the VDR / Lavant car coat style and (I currently have 3 of these) and I moved the Barnstormers on .... I don't think height has anything to do with what style suits ... but then maybe that's because I'm a short arse :)

I think the Rocketeer's Barnstormer looks great .... besides in the original pics I've seen these weren't worn by 6' plus guys :) :)

tonypaj

Practically Family
I had one, I'm just your average 183 cm 83 kg. To me this is more of a short overcoat than a trim fitting thingy, especially as you have the belt and the buttons to play with, so the fit is probably as easy as you can get with a leather jacket. I sold it as it did not get much use (also it was a pain in the car if you had to wear it), I prefer a long half belt or a real overcoat these days.

Gromulus

Practically Family

Assuming a good fit, I've observed that a person's general attitude / demeanor / how he carries himself has much more to do with what jacket he can pull off than his physical dimensions. Being tall or short has very little to do with it.

For the most part, I concur.

At (only) 5'7" in height I have to be careful how long my coats are however. Now I weigh a very muscular 215# and usually wear a size 46 short. Being a former competitive bodybuilder/powerlifter I can and usually do physically intimidate taller men. However, shorter men usually have shorter legs (compared to torso) than a taller men so we have to be careful with longer coats.

jback

Familiar Face
Mine gets a lot of use from maybe September to April - May. Here it is after two years of wear. Don't mind me looking a bit stiff. It's difficult enough to pose for someone, let alone yourself...

The coat is in mid-weight oil pull horsehide.

Could maybe be one size smaller, but I would have to try one on. And I'm quite happy with this. Picked it up from Aero's sale section.

Jonathan

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here it is after two years of wear. Don't mind me looking a bit stiff. It's difficult enough to pose for someone, let alone yourself...

Jonathan

Best way to pose is to grab a prop or lean up against something. I dont feel comfy posing unless I have something to hold or do(such as leaning or standing against), you can still get an attitude of fit etc. Flick through a clothing catalogue, online or paper for ideas.
There is a topic for pic posing somewhere here.

In my pic(prev page) I am 5' 9" and a chub if thats any help, the jacket is a 44":D

kronos77

One of the Regulars

This is so true. There is a gestalt element to style that is hard to capture with words or rules about what to wear. The elements of style cannot be understood 100% successfully by breaking the subject down into component parts. Some people break all the rules for their type and look good still.

Seb Lucas' comment about the women laughing at the short guy becasue they thought he was compensating for his height with a leather jacket is, i suspect, a case of unrecognized wholism. I suspect it wasn't the jacket or his height as much as the man's total personality.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
jback,

That jacket looks great in the oil pull. I am guessing you are no less than 5'11". Do you have room for a sport coat underneath that? If you sized down would you have room for a sport coat?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jonathan, I've always thought that if I lived in a cold climate the Barnstormer would be a must-have. That jacket really looks fantastic on you, and kudos on the cap and scarf.

Edward

Bartender
Eventually I fancy one of these with a long, fluffy collar, Manfred von Richthofen style. Blanket lining, probably. I'd just want to be sure it was long enough to cover a blazer.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This is so true. There is a gestalt element to style that is hard to capture with words or rules about what to wear. The elements of style cannot be understood 100% successfully by breaking the subject down into component parts. Some people break all the rules for their type and look good still.

I agree totally but it's a very rare person that can accomplish this, so it rarely applies. And it's still rather subjective. What you or I might think looks great may be someone else's fashion bete noire. I think the rule (bad word) is that people should wear what they like. I do that but I'm always aware I might look ridiculous.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I plan to get a Barnstormer made for me. I currently have a single breasted, shearling lined Canadian affair of unknown brand in black. It's one of my "dayum it's cold outside" go to's. Though it's very old it still squeaks like the dickens. I was thinking of getting one on brown battered midweight horse with thick alpaca and a fur collar. I think the shawl collared shearling is a bit much and I've enough shearling for now. I'm a big guy, size 48 to 50 chest and about 6'1" inches tall. I'm also broad shouldered and thick of arm and chest. I think a full shearling Barnstormer might be too thick to move around in if it was FQHH. Still you'll have to try em out for yourself.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider