Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Did You Just See Live?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're at this very moment hosting a concert by the Butch Thompson Trio, well known from "A Prairie Home Companion." I'm in the office counting out the tills as they do their encore number, a version of Bing Crosby's "Where The Blue Of The Night Meets The Gold Of The Day."

Hopefully they haven't left a mess for me in the Green Room. These musicians can be brutal.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The last band I saw was 5280, a big band. They sound good, but IMO, should play more swing music at swing dances, and less music that sounds better as R&B.

The last performance I saw was a production of Oklahoma at the Littleton Town Hall Arts Center. It was well done.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Michael Buble,......what a show.

When you go to a concert, you know how you're not really hearing the singer's voice, but an amplification of it via a multi million dollar system?

Well,......at the end of this concert, he said he wanted to sing to us not a mic,....so he put the mic in it's stand, stepped up to the edge of the stage and sang as loud as he could to over 50,000 of us.
We all heard him,....and it was perfect.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tears For Fears does a GREAT live concert. Saw them a couple years a go for their new album.
Rufus Wainwright (Ive seen him 4 times). Its funny, the more popular he got, the higher the ticket prices became lol I would have seen him 5 times, but I couldnt do a $50 concert ticket. I can always say "I saw him when he commanded $20 :)

Massive Attack. AMazing live, and I saw them in a fantastic venue. That is prolly the largest concert I will ever attend.

I want to see a band called Elbow, but the 'ticket fee' is 50% the ticket price! Whatever!!!

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Impromptu with Katie Glassman. It was a five-piece band (fiddle, bass fiddle, piano, drums and trumpet) that played mostly 20s and 30 music in general and several songs by Django Reinhardt in particular. They played a good variety of tempos and styles, they started on time, and they sounded good. On the minus side, Glassman is just an OK singer (and she seemed to forget some of the lyrics to "Lullaby of Birdland") and the songs often went on a lot longer than 3 minutes. On the whole, though, I enjoyed the band and hope to see them again.

Lenore

Practically Family
Last month, my husband and I went to see Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine. Based out of Las Vegas, they take popular songs and the lounge-ifiy them. Terribly funny, and a very good time. They're going on a touring hiatus after this run, so I totally recommend them if you're ever in Vegas.

Mind, there is a good reason why most of their CDs have the little Parental Advisory sticker on them.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most recent band I saw was the Chop Tops out of Santa Cruz. They put on a really great show.
TheChopTops2.jpg

Brett, on bass, used to play for Three Bad Jacks.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Western Swing Ain't Dead...

It's ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL! I saw Ray and the gang a short while back in Kent, Ohio, and they were, as always, FABULOUS!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Not jazz or swing

I saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, which is always a blast since Nick Cave is one of the most amazing entertainers of our time, and then afterwards on the same night I saw Nine Inch Nails which took me back to my teens. :)

For the rest of the week, we have a jazz festival here in Copenhagen, so I'll be hearing some jazz concerts and reporting back.

Edward

Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
This weekend at the Hep Cats Holiday I saw the Ding Dong Daddios, Mike Sanchez and the Gents, and a really great huge Swing band, whose name I have forgotten! :eusa_doh:

Sanchez has a new band? Last time I saw him, which is a few years ago now, he was still working "The Mike Sanchez Band".

Last week I went to a couple of gigs in Wembley Arena. far from my favourite venue, but sometimes you don't have that choice. I saw BB king on the Sunday night, which was fantastic. An unexpected treat as his last show in London, back in 06, was billed as his farewell to international touring.... The man's 83, but still as better entertainer than all the dadrock generation half his age and less. On the Tuesday evening, I returned to the Arena to see the immortal Spinal Tap on their 'One Night Only World Tour', ably supported by the Folksmen (whose cover of Start me Up has to be heard to be believed). the show appeared to be being filmed; given that plus the one-of nature of the event, my suspicion is that the film is to be rereleased on Blu-Ray very soon, and that this show will appear as an extra on a deluxe 25th Anniversary package. :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
How are they live? Ive always wanted to see them in concert.

LD

You must go see them the next time you get a chance! Oh they are amazing! I'm biased since I'm a very devoted fan and have seen them many times and they sound awesome (they are a big band so lots of sound coming out of them), and there's really nothing that can compare to Cave's energy, he's the motor. He's very engaging and wonderful.

I'm really hoping (and have a feeling) that Grinderman will do a concert in SF this fall, then we can go see them together! :) Grinderman is a side project that four of the Bad Seeds members have together, and it's really good, especially if you like the new noisy, cocky and less pompous sound that the Bad Seeds display on their latest record Dig Lazarus Dig. Grinderman is like that - just even more dirty.

I know that Warren Ellis, another Bad Seeds member, who is a wonderfully original musician, is coming to SF on September 19 with his other band Dirty Three. I have to admit I have not heard them that much but since I know how awesome Warren Ellis is, I'll definitely be going to that concert - check it out! :) How is that venue, by the way?

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Not too long ago, I saw Etta James in Detroit. I was actually a bit disappointed. I think she was trying too hard to be a sexy young woman instead of a dignified older lady with a great history. Even still, I suppose it was worth to say that I saw her perform live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points