Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who else grinds coffee?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I grind my own coffee, but not every morning. Making it less than before since my wife usually helps me finish off the pot and she's mostly gone off caffeine due to pregnancy.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I will only buy whole beans and grind them - even if I'm just buying inexpensive coffee. The taste and aroma are far superior, and I don't make coffee enough at home to be able to go through a bag of grounds before they go stale.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I drink coffee very infrequently. But whenever I do make coffee , I grind it myself. Tastes better that way -

Cricket

Practically Family
My husband and I drink a whole pot every morning before work. We are coffeeaholics. I have never actually tried fresh ground coffee. I have always just bought a bag of ground. I don't own a grinder either. As far as costs, is it cheaper to buy whole beans? I have never made a purchase so I am totally unaware of costs. I am sure the fresh taste is hard to beat but in these days and times, cost is usually top priority for our house.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I only had my first cup of coffee about ten years ago, but since I have become hooked I have found that grinding whole beans at home is the way to go. As it was I was giving far too much of my paycheck to Starbucks every morning. A dear friend bought me an espresso machine as a house warming gift when I moved to Las Vegas, and the addition of a good grinder makes the coffee ritual complete. A bit of a mess is a good thing, I think. It keeps me (wait for it)... grounded.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Is there any other way?:D

And then in one of these:

stempelkande.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Wil Tam said:
I grind & french .... ooo that sounded so dirty

Same here. French presses absolutely make the best coffee.

I don't find coffee grinders messy at all. Not any more so than the few grounds you'd get on your counter spooning ground coffee into your coffee maker.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Same here. French presses absolutely make the best coffee.

My wife, a coffee professional (she was a barista for years and now works for a top roastery, with the training of baristas among her responsibilities), swears by coffee made via Chemex over French presses.

The methods are very similar, but there's less grit in Chemex coffee.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed virtually no difference between coffee brewed in a french press and that brewed in a vacuum pot.

Both methods expose the grounds to water of the proper temperature, about 205 degrees unlike the automatic drip machines, which generally heat the water to only about 165 degrees.

The old-time Drip-O-Lators This includes the Melita and Chemex models) can make excellent coffee, too, if the water is poured into them at a rolling boil.

I find that the coffee produced by the Silex or Corey, or other all-glass vacuum pots to be just a trice better than that made in the stainless steel Sunbeam Coffee Master, but the quick-heating and fuly automatic Sunbeam units are so very convenient. They give the French pres a real run for its money, and are self-heating, automatic, and easier to clean to boot.

It is a pity that they are no longer made.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
They're adjustable.

I'm guessing her shop hasn't popped for one. ;)

No, she's worked with them a bit. She's no longer associated with a single shop, but some of the shops she works with have them. But she's very knowledgeable and experienced. She trains baristas, teaches classes, holds public cuppings, is on the editorial staff of Barista magazine -- she knows her stuff.

She's not sold on Clovers at all (neither am I, but I'm no expert) but for more on her reasons, I'd have to ask her to explain in greater detail. She's no snob, though, and knows it's all a matter of taste, though. She's of the "whatever makes one happy" school (though she does have her own opinions, of course).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Me too-

Freshly ground is best but it needs to be the good stuff.
And Caffetiere juice definitely tastes better than filter machine.

It's quite amazing- almost unbelievable, that using the same amount of coffee and water can taste so much better when pressed, rather than out of a filter machine. It's also amazing that so many people don't seem to agree...

Drink on.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112