Who likes vintage tools?

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by reetpleat, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Unfortunately, The Boss has decided I don't need a vintage saw.... so now I need to find a home for it.
    I stalled with finding an inexpensive motor. I'll look forward to seeing yours all cleaned up. Good luck!

BobHufford likes this.
  2. Morecowbell

Morecowbell New in Town

Ooh, ooh! How have I missed this thread?

This is a bench I purchased locally (Indianapolis area) about a year ago, had been in a piano factory that started production in the 1870's if I recall correctly. I'm on the fence about restoring it. It has fantastic patina but it could use a 50,000 mile checkup, a new front leg (it burned, very strange), and I've learned that there's a reason they don't make wooden vise screws anymore. But it really sets the mood when you want to do some woodworking.

[​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  3. de Stokesay

de Stokesay One of the Regulars

I'd love to see a picture of this bench.

4. Morecowbell

Morecowbell New in Town

Bench.jpg Hmmm, does it not show up on my post? I pasted it in and it's visible to me in my feed so I thought it was there - please let me know if that doesn't work!

Here it is again, just in case...

Turnip and Bugguy like this.
  5. Sorry for your loss. I showed this one to my neighbor yesterday morning and by early afternoon he was back with a handle he made for it. More “man with a problem” sized than the original.

38208722-C042-4D20-95AA-3E194BBEB785.jpeg

tonyb and Bugguy like this.
  6. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Seems like I'd need 3 hands to work the saw... 1 to crank and 2 to steer the wood. How did that kid do it?

7. The lower arm is a "hold down" arm that I think is used to keep the work somewhat snug while you crank with one hand and move the work with the other. There is probably a reason these aren't still made today though... :p

Bugguy likes this.
  8. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

Not really a tool but made using vintage tools, a practising piece i did as a kid during apprenticeship...still use it sometimes for illuminating my terrace
    at night in summer.

[​IMG]

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I read the title of this thread and thought "damn, almost every tool I own is approaching vintage".....I bought my basic woodworking tools and all my mechanics tools over 50 years ago when I left university. I did not know what I wanted to do but I did know I was tired of reading, studying and writing essays and needed to learn to work with my hands. Bought tools; built rudimentary furniture and began to apprentice as an auto mechanic. I could not afford the top of the line stuff so settled on Craftsman and a long love affair with Sears.

BobHufford likes this.
  10. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

Bench, vise, brazing torches and not too few other things in my workshop are indeed vintage. Many things passed down from grandfather´s / father´s days. As these have been metal professionals, as well as me, there´s no DIY tool to be found.

[​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  11. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

Some vintage (grandpa’s) Picard sheet metal hammers on an 80kg PFP anvil.

[​IMG]

BobHufford and Farace like this.
  12. ^^^^^ Very nice!

The only thing I've used my anvil for is to play along ... and I still get those two "bangs" out of time. :(

Anvil_Beatles_Abbey_Road_1969.jpg

tonyb and Turnip like this.
  13. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

:)

Never mind, there’s a reason why you’d have to learn this for 3 1/2 years here for getting permitted to play in a band…;)

BobHufford likes this.
  14. Hey … I recognize those feet.

40FCDA19-924F-46C5-86BB-D30A1CC3B3B5.jpeg

First year Delta Unisaw (1939) and only year with four separate cast feet. Was a solid base after that. Comes home with me tomorrow when I have a trailer and some help.

91ACC7BE-DE16-46A2-B2BC-96FB8D26D91E.jpeg

seres likes this.
  15. seres

seres A-List Customer

Wonderful find! A little cleaning and adjusting, and it should run like new! And probably last for another 80 years!

BobHufford likes this.
  16. clementishutin

clementishutin New in Town

Any WWII vintage collection?

17. Safety First! I thought this vintage face shield with its translucent fiberglass caps was pretty cool. I will most likely replace the shield with a more modern (and less scratched) plastic.

C42496A1-4428-4D18-88EE-B7780023347E.jpeg

9C78F8F5-253A-42C5-917C-042CBBFFC205.jpeg

18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Perfect for going out in this covid environment...

BobHufford likes this.