Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best, strongest duck cotton work jackets?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I bought a Carhartt Men's Duck Chore Coat/Blanket-Lined last year and I'm already re-sewing the button holes. Even the top button, which I've never used, is unraveling.

Pointer brand has jacked their prices up quite a bit.

Later

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas.... well, I don't mind if it's nothing fancy, I'm not a snob. I think it's a good product and I dig the simple style. Never felt like it would be as good unlined though.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like em too Highway, but my question was about the best, strongest duck cotton. Dickies are a poly blend.

I'm curious to find out about elite work wear materials and quality. Filson certainly sounds interesting. Over here work wear is either cheap-shit polyester or nylon, it seems.

The Carhartt I have is nice enough but its unevenly made, with lost of loose threads, uneven surface dye and the polyester blanket lining seems pretty flimsy. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. So far I have found it warm and comfortable.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Fair enough. I'd recomend Filson stuff. It's almost absurd how good quality it is and it's so nice to use. I have a bag that I use as my kid's diaper bag and for about 80 bucks (sale) it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Unlike most diaper bags this one certainly is NOT getting chucked out when the kid is potty trained!

Doublegun

Practically Family
I am a big fan of Filson and I don't want to begin to count the pieces that I have. All of their US made stuff is top shelf. Other than price, the biggest complaint I hear about Filson is how stiff things are, especially the Oil Tin Cloth.

If you have an issue with the quality of your Carhart jackets call Carhart and talk to them. I have coveralls and a Detroit jacket and have worn them for hears. Never saw a loose thread or any problem with manufacturing and they have held up well. When I am working on the farm or doing tough work outside in the cold they are the last thing I grab as I am headed out the door.

pak

One of the Regulars
I wear carhartts for work and I'm not a big fan because it is heavy and bulky. I use it because for the money it wears well, it is easy to replace due to many outlets and I know the best size for me in every shirt, jacket or pants. I certainly don't wear it when I'm not working. There are much more comfortable clothes to wear than heavy cotton duck.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, Pak that maybe true, but when it is warmer duck is lighter, easier and often nicer to wear than leather. Which is why I like the material.

Last edited:
I like the Carhartt too. Their stuff can be like Dickies - frayed strings here and there, etc., but it's work wear. 10 mins with some scissors fixes that. I've had a couple of canvas jackets for years and I just toss them in the wash/dryer and they're good to go. There may be better - I keep debating on Filson - but I do like the Carhartt stuff...

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Well...

This thread just cost me $130 for a Filson wool vest.

New rule... no one's allowed to post anything, anymore.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well...

This thread just cost me $130 for a Filson wool vest.

New rule... no one's allowed to post anything, anymore.

Since you have already bought a Filson wool vest, you might as well buy a Filson moleskin vest too for use when the temperature is cool but not cold. ;) Sloan, no question that we enable each other to buy stuff that we might not otherwise purchase.:D

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
Since you have already bought a Filson wool vest, you might as well buy a Filson moleskin vest too for use when the temperature is cool but not cold. ;) Sloan, no question that we enable each other to buy stuff that we might not otherwise purchase.:D

I have 2 Filson Moleskin vests in 38, one tan and one blue. I love them. Moleskin is so soft. treat yourself.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars

The moleskin might be in my near future. I'm waiting to see how the fit is on this one. Being 5' 8" and 145 lbs., I suspect that the size 40 (the smallest they offer on their website), will not just be too big, but will not even hang on my body.

But I work outside, often in sub-zero degree weather, so with ample layering it still has the potential to become a welcomed friend.

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
I'm 5'10" and 157 pounds. 38 in the Filson vests fits me best. I got both of mine over the last 6 months from David Morgan on closeout for $95 each.

I thought they also had 36, but I think by now they are all sold out. 36 may have only been available in Japanese markets. I know I've seen them online. Why o Why don't American companies sell their good stuff here?

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Can we return to cotton duck? :D

:p

I wear an insulated fire-resistant Carhartt daily, seven or eight months out of the year. I work outside, at heights, in steel mills, paper mills, cement plants, power plants...

It is seven years old and is probably indestructible and has many years of life left in it. It is invaluable in cold, wind and snow, but if it gets wet, it is like wearing a hundred pound wet mop in miserable weather.

I wear the uninsulated Duluth shop (barn?) jacket every spring/summer day unless it's too hot. It, too, is bullet-proof; very thick and seemingly cut-proof.

I also have a pair of the Duluth Trading Firehose pants. I don't think they still offer the material weight that mine are. They are like wearing cardboard pants -- super tough and heavy-duty. (I've purchased from Duluth for many years and each time their products are a tad more expensive and a bit cheaper quality. I haven't purchased from them for a couple of years.)

If you need to know about heavy-duty, extreme cold weather work wear, I have much experience.

(PS... The Filson size 40 vest fits my skeleton frame handsomely. And, it will still accommodate some undergarments for chillier weather. I don't know whether to commit it to snappy-dress duty, or dedicate it to soon-to-be-a-favorite work assignments.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen