Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who should be allowed to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

A-List Customer
So, today during government class, the students who were old enough to register to vote were given passes to go to the library and register today. From what I heard from my friend Jack, some of the kids there, and I use the word kids for a reason, were very uninformed about voting and ignorant on how to choose who to vote for. When Jack asked some girl who she would vote for, she answered, "Well, I guess I'd vote for Bush because he has a nice smile." [huh]
Anyways, I started thinking, I know that it's unconstitutional to make people take a test before they can vote (although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea) so the only other option would be to raise the voting age. So, I ask the good people of the Fedora Lounge should the voting age be changed?

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I don't think so. I remember being upset because I couldn't vote in the presidential elections when I was a senior in high school because I hadn't turned 18 yet. I'm sure there are lots of ignorant 18 year olds, but there are also many intelligent ones. Don't high school students learn anything in civics class?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It's not just 18 year olds who are ignorant about voting. I remember, standing in the booth and an elderly woman yelled out; "oh my God, this is terrible!" and a poll worker came up and asked "what's the matter" the lady responded "I can't find Dianne Feinstein's name on the ballot" It turned out she had the ballot upside down.:D

Or how some ethnics will only vote for a person of the same ethnicity or religion. Now that is ignorant!:rage:

Phil

A-List Customer
We are requited to take Government class which I guess is the same, but the problem is we haven't even touched proper selection of candidates. And I don't rember the President's smile being a major deciding point in voting.

S

Samsa

I know plenty of stupid people over the age of eighteen. Raising the voting age wouldn't do anything, except reduce the number of people who vote. And from what I understand of voter turnout, we need all the people we can get. Within reason, of course.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's an easy one these days!

When I was under 18 I thought that 18 year olds should be able to vote. Now that I'm way past 18 I thoroughly believe that the voting age should be 21 again!! I think a voter must be a citizen of the United States of America and I believe that a voter should be able to read and understand the English language no matter what their native tongue. I believe ALL voter and polling information should be in English only as an incentive to learn and understand our language.

Having said all of that; I AM a voter!!

Respectfully,
Dixon Cannon
Neo-Jeffersonian Constitutional Fundamentalist

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you Dixon. If a person can't read English they how can they be expected to cast an informed vote?[huh] People should also be required to show proof of Identification before voting. If that is required to board a plane it should be required before voting.

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Phil said:
So, today during government class, the students who were old enough to register to vote were given passes to go to the library and register today. From what I heard from my friend Jack, some of the kids there, and I use the word kids for a reason, were very uninformed about voting and ignorant on how to choose who to vote for. When Jack asked some girl who she would vote for, she answered, "Well, I guess I'd vote for Bush because he has a nice smile." [huh]
Anyways, I started thinking, I know that it's unconstitutional to make people take a test before they can vote (although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea) so the only other option would be to raise the voting age. So, I ask the good people of the Fedora Lounge should the voting age be changed?

Yeeeeeah right.

Age has got nuttin to do with it.

For every kid that doesnt have a clue how this country works ,..theres a parent or two in the same boat that made em wind up that way.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My generation doesn't even vote in high numbers. Turn out ain't what it should be.

Darkly, I wonder if there should be tests for old people. Not a cut-off age, that would be wrong, but a quick mental ability test of some kind. "What year is it? Who's President right now?" [huh]

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I wouldn't raise the voting age, but I wouldn't have much of a problem with a property requirement of some sort being reinstated as a requirement for voting rights.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now a days it is just as easy to get a library card as it is to register to vote. Back in the day, it use to be a real deal to get a library card, same for voting. Soooooooooooo, what is going on now?

We are speaking of the age at when you can vote and I say that is speculative. There are some very well informed 18 and even 15 year olds, and there are some VERY flippant 50+'s. So this question is really irrelevant.

I think wat we want is for informed (English Speaking) Americans to take a concious effort in our present mockery of a political system and make it mean something again. So, starting from the age of 18 (that is the current law), we all seem to want the same thing. That is sad is that it prolly will never happen. :eusa_doh:

LD

Terry Lennox

Suspended
Dixon Cannon said:
I believe that a voter should be able to read and understand the English language no matter what their native tongue. I believe ALL voter and polling information should be in English only as an incentive to learn and understand our language.

Having said all of that; I AM a voter!!

Respectfully,
Dixon Cannon
Neo-Jeffersonian Constitutional Fundamentalist

Dixon,

That was actually used in the south and was called literacy tests. Because of that way of thinking the Voting Rights Act was signed into law in 1965.

Elaina

One Too Many
I'm always required to show my voter's registration card AND my driver's license before I can cast my vote.

I'm also required to have a huge "Democrat" stamped along the side of it too, so they know where to send me. Which brings it to another couple of questions: should the way I vote have anything to do with me being a voter? Does it matter if I voted Democrat in the last election without having to have it broadcast on my card?

Elaina

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe..

Marc Chevalier said:
If 18 year-olds can serve in the Armed Forces, then they should also be allowed to vote..

...the original concept behind your thought was that back in the Vietnam era (when I was growing up) the government conscripted young men, many of whom were in college or beginning careers, some with families of their own and most with other plans for their lives.

The concept devised that if young men could be drafted to serve in the military and to fight in foreign wars then they should be allowed to vote.

We no longer have a military draft. A large percentage of 18 year old kids have matriculated through government schools with little or no education in history, civics or philosophy and politics. A great many of them aren't capable of of finding their.....ah, ....way... let alone make decisions about electing representatives or passing intitiatives. And ALL of them in military service joined voluntarily and asked to participate in their activities.

When I was eighteen I could have been drafted and I had a lot of faith in eighteen year olds. Now I'm considerably older, I can no longer be drafted, nor can they. I have no faith in the abilities, opinions, and decisions of eighteen year olds.

That is a function and privilege of (my) age. I accept it and embrace it. Oh yeh, and I vote!

-dixon cannon

Strider

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
I'm always required to show my voter's registration card AND my driver's license before I can cast my vote.

I'm also required to have a huge "Democrat" stamped along the side of it too, so they know where to send me. Which brings it to another couple of questions: should the way I vote have anything to do with me being a voter? Does it matter if I voted Democrat in the last election without having to have it broadcast on my card?

Elaina

I wonder the same thing. The last 2 elections I voted in, I was handed a "democratic voter" card. Why did I need one of those? What's the difference between a republican and democrat card? Surely they all have the same choices and candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko