Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whom would you invite to your home?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Among people associated with motion pictures, who are now deceased, what one woman and one man (in their primes) would you have invited to your home?

Why?
I would have wanted Hedy Lamarr and Preston Sturges.

Ms. Lamarr is my obvious choice. No one else was seriously considered. She's Jewish; my mother would be pleased. She's drop-dead gorgeous, and naturally so; my father would be happy. Her intelligence probably exceeds her beauty; that makes me tongue tied. She holds a patent that pertains to electronic guidance that I believe is still in use for torpedoes.

Preston Sturges had stiff competition from John Huston. Both are superior screenwriters who became superior directors. I chose Mr. Sturges because his writing tends to be more comedic and off-the-wall. I suspect he would be more interesting to get to know. After the new wears off, though, I couldn't say which of the two would be more interesting to know long term.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Ida Lupino: One of the few female directors of her time and a dang good actress to boot.

Jimmy Stewart: Mostly I just think he's dashing.....I'd be happy just to sit and stare at him most of the night....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking about Jimmy Stewart also. He was not only a real gentleman, but also a pilot and, everyone says, a down-to-earth person (no pun intended).

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Allen Jenkins and Clara Bow.

Neither were pretentious and they'd both probably have me laughing my bum off, especially Clara with her off-colour humour! I think I would have felt very comfortable around both of them.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Not fair

I'd like to invite so many actors and directors, people who worked behind the cameras... but... two will do for starters: Mr Griffith and Lillian Gish, and talk with them of all their Hollywood memoirs when movies were new,everything about that incredible time, the teens and twenties...discuss with them the smallest details... I'd invited them to stay weeks and weeks with me.....:D

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I think Jane Russell and W.C. Fields. I'd have to be in my prime too so I could still go out club hopping and partying with them!:)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Simple:

John Wayne. We could talk politics and guns all night (the Duke was a fairly advanced gun collector).

Hedy Lamarr. Brilliant woman.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Rex Harrison & Greta Garbo, which would be made even better by the fact that they were good friends with each other already. :)

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Cary Grant ~ He would keep me smiling & laughing all night.
I wouldn't mind staring at him either while in the mist of this great happiness
and I would adore for him to make me a classic martini & clink our glasses
together.

A female actress is so hard to choose from...there are so many I adore.
I suppose I would choose- - -

Audrey Hepburn ~ To have a sit down dinner with this fine lady I would be in awe of her natural graces.
I think I would enjoy speaking to her of her time spent as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and how she went about it. I
also think she would be delightfully witty. After a dinner with Audrey I believe I would be a changed person for the better.
And I do feel the moment would stay with me always. She just seemed as if she had that affect on those that she came in contact with.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Didn't they have a child together?

No, Clark Gable had an illegitimate child with Loretta Young.
In 1935 she secretly gave birth to a daughter, Judy, later revealed to be fathered by C.Gable, Loretta's co-star in "The Call of the Wild".
Loretta "adopted" :eek: Judy, who did not know the identity of her mother and father until two decades later....
Judy wrote a book about it call "Uncommon Knowledge".
...this was one of Hollywood best kept secrets of the Golden Era...:rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
plain old dave said:
Simple:

John Wayne.

True story:

My grandmother, in her late 70s now, was a huge John Wayne fan back in the day. I remember when I was very young, in my grandparents house they used to have a framed picture of him in cowboy garb on the wall of the lounge. My Granda Blair died back in 97, but he looked really rather a lot like John Wayne (I wonder what first attracted her to him lol ). For years I thought that was a picture of him on the wall. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR