Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does Indiana Jones wear a leather jacket in the dessert?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's a movie AAP Adrian. It's a movie...

There is no overarching "why", it just had the right look. A fedora, leather jacket and khakis was worn by the solider of fortune characters in a range of films that inspired Raiders, including China with Alan Ladd and Secret of the Incas with Charlton Heston. Raiders was intended as a pastiche of a range of movies and Saturday matinee serials.

The Raiders jacket was made of light lambskin to help reduce heat in filming locations and under studio lighting. Harrison Ford himself asked your question - he had to wear the sucker.

Here's Charlton.

secret-of-the-incas.jpg

Here's Alan.

wrk9.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You try being dragged under a truck while wearing breathable cotton, see where that gets you! (it's on telly over here right now!). Oh, you want heresy? Not a single thing Indy does in the film has any bearing on the outcome of the plot. If he'd stayed home and marked papers, it would have been exactly the same!

Not a single thing Indy does in the film has any bearing on the outcome of the plot. If he'd stayed home and marked papers, it would have been exactly the same!

Well, if anything, Indy (and Marion, of course) were the only ones that survived the opening of the Ark, so it was because of him that the Ark ended up in the USA government warehouse, not in Germany. :D

eggleman

One of the Regulars
You try being dragged under a truck while wearing breathable cotton, see where that gets you! (it's on telly over here right now!). Oh, you want heresy? Not a single thing Indy does in the film has any bearing on the outcome of the plot. If he'd stayed home and marked papers, it would have been exactly the same!

Someone watched the Big Bang Theory episode ?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Someone watched the Big Bang Theory episode ?

Yep, and you know what? It's absolutely true. I sat and watched it this evening for the first time since seeing that episode and the damn thing was ruined for me. It'll be a while before I can 'just enjoy the ride' again. :eeek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, if anything, Indy (and Marion, of course) were the only ones that survived the opening of the Ark, so it was because of him that the Ark ended up in the USA government warehouse, not in Germany. :D

But it would have been opened, killed everyone in the room and then been lost. Dramatically, not hugely different. Right, I've got that out of my system and I'm going to start to forget I ever saw that episode of Big Bang.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There is a specific line where it's explained that it had to be opened and examined before being brought to Hitler, lest something unpleasant be inside. Which, admittedly, was not to far off the mark...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points