Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why was "903" funny? At least for a while, in December 1946.

Espee

Practically Family
An Alan Young Show dated 12/13/46, in which he has hopes of becoming a great singer.... two references to "903" or "9:03" which get laughs.
In the first instance, he's looking for Room 906 and is reading off the room numbers he's passing. At 903, he says to his pal, "Maybe I should knock on the door and ask them what it means."
Later, he's counting some items and when he gets to 903, he mentions Red Skelton. (Sorry I can't quote it better.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's a reference to Raleigh 903 cigarettes -- which were being heavily and irritatingly promoted on Red Skelton's program at that time as having "less tar, less nicotine, less throat irritation!"

The number 903 had no scientific or mystical significance. It was the post office box number in Louisville where smokers sent in to redeem their Raleigh coupons.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
It's a reference to Raleigh 903 cigarettes -- which were being heavily and irritatingly promoted on Red Skelton's program at that time as having "less tar, less nicotine, less throat irritation!"

The number 903 had no scientific or mystical significance. It was the post office box number in Louisville where smokers sent in to redeem their Raleigh coupons.

I am continually in awe of your knowledge base!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
46741_med.jpeg

Gene Tierney doesn't look too convinced. Maybe she knew she was going to die from emphysema.

Espee

Practically Family
Ah ha... like when Chevron (circa 1969) advertised an additive in their gasoline-- "F-310." I remember my grandmother saying to my mother, "I told him to put in some of that F-Thirteen..."

Espee

Practically Family
Here's another Alan Young Show reference. While hoping to make a good impression on his girlfriend's father, he says, "I don't gamble... I don't drink... I don't know what '903' means..."

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Somewhere around here I have a 1946 magazine with a color picture of Merle Oberon modelling jewellry made from radioactive fused glass fresh from the Almagordo atom bomb test site.

It was part of the US government's Atoms For Peace campaign. Atoms are your friends!

Today, 70 years after the tests, the Almagordo area is considered hazardous. Visitors are discouraged, and are not allowed to pick up the fused glass for souvenirs. It is too dangerous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto