Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windbreaker: Trademark... John Rissman & Son

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
This is one of the more interesting pieces we found this weekend during the inventory. It is a gabardine fabric, with a "Unisec" tag that seems to explain the details of the fabric.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Yeah Its a postwar If not immidiate postwar example of a beautiful gabardine jacket. Lucky fella.

Crown zipper on the front points to that, as well as the longer collar points as well.

Nice score on everything buy the way.

Jerome

carter

I'll Lock Up
YOWZA !

I have been trying to find a jacket like that for years!

I believe that jacket is very similar to the one worn by Kirk Douglas in the movie Ace In The Hole.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I like those small gold post-war Crowns. I picked up one NOS on EBAY a couple of years ago. I'd like to find a jacket like this to put it on!

Alan

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Crown Zipper?

cheaterome said:
Yeah Its a postwar If not immidiate postwar example of a beautiful gabardine jacket. Lucky fella.

Crown zipper on the front points to that, as well as the longer collar points as well.

Nice score on everything buy the way.

Jerome

Thanks for the clues and the incouragement. Forgive me, but I'm not familiar with the Crown Zipper. If I had known, then I would have posted a close-up shot of the zipper, but I guess you didn't even need a close-up to identify the zipper. How can you distinguish the Crown Zipper?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Similar style... Different jacket

We also found a few of these jackets.

They are made from a flannel type material, but the styling is very similar to the styling of the windbreaker.

Are they from the same era?

DSC00656-1.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
DUDE

"Are they from the same era?"

Without sounding bitter or jealous.... YEAH.

The arrow cuff tabs that secure the wrist and pillow (bellows) pockets plus the overall design screams pre 1952.The label reminds me of the labels that were put in Art Vogue rock and roll shirts and back panel Hawaiians.

The collar isn't all that long but the make of the jacket including the label leads me to believe once again post war as well...What are your plans for this stuff?

Crown zippers are a special breed they usually have a spring return mechanism on pretty much all of their zipps which return the puller mechanism to the flat position and lock it with a pin between the teeth. Plus they say Crown on them, and I have been collecting this stuff long enough that I can spot that stuff like paparazzi following a over drugged celebrity .

CROWN military zippers have chevron or bent teeth and they are considered to be of the highest quality (Cadillac) among zipper manufacturers.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Not trying to play dumb...

I'm sorry to appear ignorant... I've just learned that if I step beyond my level of knowledge on the FL, there is usually an expert who will explain why I'm wrong. So... I've decided to stop guessing. I'm going to post pictures of what I have, which gives experts a chance to see the pristine versions of items they admire, and in return, I'm asking for knowledge, so I can learn more about what I have in my inventory.

I don't have a specific plan, yet. So far, my girlfriend and I have spent approximately 20 hours organizing everything into groups. It's been a LONG weekend! Now, I'm working on posting the photos and sharing the interesting items.

So... for now... I'm protecting and cataloging the inventory. I haven't decided what my next step will be. Do you have any ideas?

cheaterome said:
"Are they from the same era?"

Without sounding bitter or jealous.... YEAH.

The arrow cuff tabs that secure the wrist and pillow (bellows) pockets plus the overall design screams pre 1952.The label reminds me of the labels that were put in Art Vogue rock and roll shirts and back panel Hawaiians.

The collar isn't all that long but the make of the jacket including the label leads me to believe once again post war as well...What are your plans for this stuff?

Crown zippers are a special breed they usually have a spring return mechanism on pretty much all of their zipps which return the puller mechanism to the flat position and lock it with a pin between the teeth. Plus they say Crown on them, and I have been collecting this stuff long enough that I can spot that stuff like paparazzi following a over drugged celebrity .

CROWN military zippers have chevron or bent teeth and they are considered to be of the highest quality (Cadillac) among zipper manufacturers.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnyphi said:
I'm sorry to appear ignorant... I've just learned that if I step beyond my level of knowledge on the FL, there is usually an expert who will explain why I'm wrong. So... I've decided to stop guessing. I'm going to post pictures of what I have, which gives experts a chance to see the pristine versions of items they admire, and in return, I'm asking for knowledge, so I can learn more about what I have in my inventory.

I don't have a specific plan, yet. So far, my girlfriend and I have spent approximately 20 hours organizing everything into groups. It's been a LONG weekend! Now, I'm working on posting the photos and sharing the interesting items.

So... for now... I'm protecting and cataloging the inventory. I haven't decided what my next step will be. Do you have any ideas?

Mr. johnnyphi, Thank you for sharing your photos and experience with us. As collectors, we are coveting your items and very happy to share in your wonderful experience.

Everyone here started ignorant, so please don't be concerned. There is no single "book" or "class" to learn all the nuances of vintage clothing. We are happy to share our knowledge with you.

Since you asked for ideas, I think the fellas here on the Lounge would be OVER THE MOON if you perhaps would offer some of the items to members here. Some gentlemen have taken the time to educate you, and they should be rewarded.

This is just my personal opinion, but as a woman with over two decades of vintage clothing collecting I can't tell you how many times I "helped someone out" and have that person turn around and sell the item elsewhere or not even given me a token as a thank you. It has literally broken my heart and prevented some potential friendships from flourishing. Gentlemen such I have met on the Lounge are a class unto themselves, too courteous to ask for said items in exchange for knowledge they are sharing. But I guarantee, the persons here are TRUE COLLECTORS and will honestly covet your items and wear them with pride, vs just buying something because its trendy or popular.

Thank you for your consideration.

Vintage Betty

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Overwhelming

You're welcome. I do hope to offer many and/or most of my inventory to collectors and newbies, alike, but I don't think I can adequately describe the scale of this project. I've mentioned it in other threads, and I'll say it again... I work 12 hours, per day. I don't want to give myself a heart attack by pushing to "spread the wealth".

The men AND women of the Fedora Lounge are a spectacular group, and I would be lost without all of you.

Please understand that I would prefer to share these items with collectors, but I have to consider all options, and I have to look at the time involved if I attempted to sell each item on an individual basis.

As a vintage clothing collector... you must understand... this is mind boggling.

Vintage Betty said:
Mr. johnnyphi, Thank you for sharing your photos and experience with us. As collectors, we are coveting your items and very happy to share in your wonderful experience.

Everyone here started ignorant, so please don't be concerned. There is no single "book" or "class" to learn all the nuances of vintage clothing. We are happy to share our knowledge with you.

Since you asked for ideas, I think the fellas here on the Lounge would be OVER THE MOON if you perhaps would offer some of the items to members here. Some gentlemen have taken the time to educate you, and they should be rewarded.

This is just my personal opinion, but as a woman with over two decades of vintage clothing collecting I can't tell you how many times I "helped someone out" and have that person turn around and sell the item elsewhere or not even given me a token as a thank you. It has literally broken my heart and prevented some potential friendships from flourishing. Gentlemen such I have met on the Lounge are a class unto themselves, too courteous to ask for said items in exchange for knowledge they are sharing. But I guarantee, the persons here are TRUE COLLECTORS and will honestly covet your items and wear them with pride, vs just buying something because its trendy or popular.

Thank you for your consideration.

Vintage Betty

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
By no means was I trying to get over on the comments.... you asked.
I had to type "Without sounding Bitter and Jealous" because I am SOOOOO jealous. Just ask away.

You really have no idea how lucky you are. I would just keep it and wear the stuff that fits, sell the rest or stuff that your not into.

This isn't the late eighties anymore... this just doesn't happen everyday... maybe once a year and only to the people who spend 14 hours a day looking for it.

I only had it happen once to me. I was at this girls house who noticed I always wore vintage and asked me if I could come clean out some old clothes from her attic so she could turn it into a studio...Wham bam and for FREE too this was back in 2000

Only about a half dozen (3 shirts and 2 pairs of pants and a pair of shoes) were deadstock but they were all high end . The other dozen or so suits, belted hollywoods and lesiure jackets , 8 MORE pairs of shoes, over 20 gab shirts , ties , accesories and everything was really killer and NONE of it mothed because the upstairs attic was all cedar... this guy had REALLY good taste in clothes and the kicker ,,,,,it was all my size and he knew my grandparents he was one of their sponsors when they came over in 1950 from Poland.

This is going to PO some people but I left all his hats in there because I don't wear hats and if someone was giving it to me I only wanted to take what I was going to use.

ALL in perfect condition... all worn by the sales director of a radio station here in Milwaukee and a announcer for WFOX when the Milwaukee Braves were in this city.
I still have everything except a belted back white palm beach suit which I gave to a friend Nick Curran who wore it on an album cover.

If you are doing it for retail good luck you should have NO problem selling any of it especially the 40's and 50's stuff.
But what vintage betty said maybe offering it up to some FL folks would be pretty righteous.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner

Jerome

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great find!

That sounds like a great find. I wish my new collection had been stored in a cedar closet. I hope you aren't getting angry PMs from friends on the FL demanding that you sell your find ASAP!

So... How can I recognize one of the Crown zippers, when I see one?

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
johnnyphi said:
That sounds like a great find. I wish my new collection had been stored in a cedar closet. I hope you aren't getting angry PMs from friends on the FL demanding that you sell your find ASAP!

So... How can I recognize one of the Crown zippers, when I see one?

Angry PM's I hope they are joking.

No.... wouldn't sell it either, because as a collector and wearer I wear the stuff almost everyday and am always looking for more. But I did give a suit away because a buddy deserved it and we always trade stuff.

Crown zippers are marked as such on the puller. Later ones (1960's) are marked C&C (coates and clark).

Jerome

Feraud

Bartender
johnnyphi said:
I hope you aren't getting angry PMs from friends on the FL demanding that you sell your find ASAP!
Please feel free to let me know if you have received angry PMs and I will give the sender a time out in the corner. ;)

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Not Angry, just eager...

Ha... I wouldn't say that I've had any angry notes. I do think people are eager for me to share the wealth. I don't blame them for being eager, but it does place me in an interesting predicament. I'm sure everyone will continue to be patient with me, so no timeouts should be necessary!:eek:

Feraud said:
Please feel free to let me know if you have received angry PMs and I will give the sender a time out in the corner. ;)

sjberg

New in Town
John Rissman & Son Windbreaker Jacket

Not only have I seen this before, but, John Rissman was my great-grandfather. The jackets were either wool or cotton gaberdine, water resistant and had several different kinds of linings (silky, cotton, wool, fleece, etc). The company began manufacturing them in 1918 and continued to do so through the late 1940's. John Rissman filed for and was awarded a patent for the name "Windbreaker" and jacket style in 1919. The Eisenhower jacket, worn in WWII, was modeled after this jacket and John Rissman & Son manufactured more than 300,000 of them for the US Army during the war. If you have one, I would be interested in purchasing it.

This is one of the more interesting pieces we found this weekend during the inventory. It is a gabardine fabric, with a "Unisec" tag that seems to explain the details of the fabric.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points