Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 mile, Rockford Cap Toe

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Seriously looking at the "Wolverine 1000 Mile, Rockford, Cap Toe" boots, what seems to be the verdict on quality and fit? Where is the best
supplier online? I typically wear a 10.5N although from what I understand, they tend to run large.
Retromoto

Last edited:

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi,
I have the "regular" 1KM's, got them a half size smaler than in other boots. Qualitywise I think they`re good, quite same as Red Wings...I bought mine via ebay, you might have a look, maybe you`ll find them there cheaper than at a normal retailer...

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I have the "regular" 1KM's, got them a half size smaler than in other boots. Qualitywise I think they`re good, quite same as Red Wings...I bought mine via ebay, you might have a look, maybe you`ll find them there cheaper than at a normal retailer...

Thanks for the feedback, I also considered the Red Wing Iron Ranger although local RW dealer doesn't stock them, too expensive for the area is my guess. That said, he was cheaper than I expected, even less than online. Still a special order he stated.
Retromoto

I. way prefer Wolverine to Redwing.
I have the Krause and McClean captoe. Comfy right out of the box. My Beckmans hurt to wear. I'm typically a 9.5, but a 9 in the 1000mi.
The Evans have some tread on the bottom if you live in a wet part of the country.
I got mine off of ebay, and had good luck.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I. way prefer Wolverine to Redwing.
I have the Krause and McClean captoe. Comfy right out of the box. My Beckmans hurt to wear. I'm typically a 9.5, but a 9 in the 1000mi.
The Evans have some tread on the bottom if you live in a wet part of the country.
I got mine off of ebay, and had good luck.

Thanks for the info, I'm not familiar with the McClean Cap-Toe, I'll check into this, just wondering, do you typically wear a narrow or ?
Retromoto

not narrow, but not super-wide either.
If you can get to a Nordstrom you can try them on. The Krause are a better built boot than the others with a full Goowyear welt and better construction IMHO, but they cost a bit more. I think the Krause were outsourced to Allen Edmonds.
Instead of stitching for the heel cup, the Krause has a piece of leather sewn on, etc.
Both pair feel good though.
Be careful on ebay as there are a lot of seconds being passed off as first quality.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
not narrow, but not super-wide either.
If you can get to a Nordstrom you can try them on. The Krause are a better built boot than the others with a full Goowyear welt and better construction IMHO, but they cost a bit more. I think the Krause were outsourced to Allen Edmonds.
Instead of stitching for the heel cup, the Krause has a piece of leather sewn on, etc.
Both pair feel good though.
Be careful on ebay as there are a lot of seconds being passed off as first quality.

While I have a Nordstrom about 90 miles away, I noticed Nordstrom's site doesn't show a Wolverine Cap Toe boot. While It's possible the store may have additional styles in stock, I'll call before making a 180 mile run. Thanks for the info. BTW, I don't do eBay so not a concern.
Retromoto

Last edited:

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Any other feelings on sizing?, I have a opportunity to purchase at a discount and would like to purchase a pair. As mentioned I typically measured at 10.5N although was thinking a 10D in the Wolverine Rockford. I've even heard mention of a subtracting a full size, just not sure if that's doable.
Retromoto

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
I bought mine a half size smaller than regular and thats a perfect fit for me....better have a boot with a little extra room to wiggle and the possibillity to wear 'em with thicker socks instead of a very snug fit wich only allows thin socks...

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I bought mine a half size smaller than regular and thats a perfect fit for me....better have a boot with a little extra room to wiggle and the possibillity to wear 'em with thicker socks instead of a very snug fit wich only allows thin socks...
Thanks for the input, Since I typically wear a narrow or semi narrow, I was hoping to select a boot which is perfect in length as the shorter the boot, it is also a bit narrower. I usually wear a medium weight cotton sock. These are not really a winter boot so I wouldn't wear thick socks with them and if thick socks are required for a good fit, I'll pass and have a pair of customs made for not much more $. I'm still going back and forth on 1/2 or whole size smaller, are your feet on the narrow side?
Retromoto

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
I usually wear medium weight cotton socks with my Wolverine's, but I do wear them in winter and like the possibillity to put some thicker woolsocks on my feet, as the Wolverine`s are a bit cold, when you're longer outside...I have custom made Boots by William Lennon /UK wich fit so snug that I only can wear them with cotton socks...(but due to thicker soles and horsehide I don't need any thick socks in these...) I am wearing a D width, and thats absolutely fine.
Maybe the seller/vendor can provide you with the insole length? Than you could compare with good fitting boots....

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I usually wear medium weight cotton socks with my Wolverine's, but I do wear them in winter and like the possibillity to put some thicker woolsocks on my feet, as the Wolverine`s are a bit cold, when you're longer outside...I have custom made Boots by William Lennon /UK wich fit so snug that I only can wear them with cotton socks...(but due to thicker soles and horsehide I don't need any thick socks in these...) I am wearing a D width, and thats absolutely fine.
Maybe the seller/vendor can provide you with the insole length? Than you could compare with good fitting boots....
I'm not sure of your location although we've had as much as 90" of snow over a winter and along with the typical associated ice and slippery conditions, the Rockford, IMO is very marginal to walk on with the standard soles. As far as a D width goes, what do your feet actually measure out at for width? I've checked w/ the manufacturer and they said to start out with a 1/2 size smaller although I might end up wearing a whole size smaller, just depends on fit. I need to hit this on the first try as there are no returns/exchanges on this deal.
Retromoto

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana