Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woman wearing Hats

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Women in Men's Fedoras

Tomorrow night, some local actresses are coming over to model my hats so I can experiment with some lighting designs. I'm trying to learn how to light the hat, the model, and the background. I asked my daughter to try on my Fed IV so I could do some tests.

126742632.jpg

I hope this isn't considered inappropriate language, but in William Wharton's novel Scumbler, the protagonist observes that if women had beards, they would turn them into something beautiful, "like they did with tits."

By the time I finish this photo project, I have a sinking feeling that none of my hats are going to look good on me anymore... Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's not just hats, but shirts and more - women make menswear look better. I had a handful of photos on my iPhone of various girls at the bar I go to that I'd let wear my whippet after they complimented the hat, and then take a pic largely for their benefit. It's my best icebreaker. I think a couple are on Facebook now. It's just what women do. They take our stuff and look good in them.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Neat idea and great photo! I trust you ordered your models with a suitable head size?

Personally, I'd have a hard time finding women with head size 62... [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Here is a fun picture of one of my friends from school when we were in Budapest for a gig.
DSCN0518.jpg

Here's another. The hat is not great, but she looks good in it.
13838_193494762945_705407945_3164001_108478_n.jpg

And my favorite. She really pulled off the homburg well.
25213_402200043948_500463948_5020048_2336003_n.jpg

They always look so much better in my hats that I do.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Getting ready for the shoot tonight. Brushing hats, adjusting snoots and reflectors.

Hats for tonight's shoot:

Stetson Open Road
Stetson Hybrid (former JBS Heritage, now fedora)
Stetson ??? early 90s black fedora
Akubra Stylemaster
Akubra Banjo Paterson
Akubra Fed IV Deluxe
A couple of unnamed Panamas

No idea how the sizing will work out - all hats are 58-59 or so. The JBS started life as a size seven, but I've been slowly enlarging it for several months now.

Hope to be sharing some interesting images with y'all soon. Z

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I am usually not a fan of a woman in a men's hat. I think woman who wear hats designed for women look beautiful but most of them who try to wear a man's hat look pretty ridiculous most of the time, especially if they are dressed in casual clothes.

There is a real trend here in NYC now with women wearing straw hats, panamas, and even fedoras but most of them look ridiculous to me because the rest of their outfit is so trendy and casual that it makes the hat seem completely out of place.

However I have seen some women here in NYC look stunning in some hats mentioned above designed specifically for women, especially one woman I saw who had an unbelievably beautiful look with her big sun hat and knock out dress walking in the streets.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
deanzat said:
No idea how the sizing will work out - all hats are 58-59 or so. The JBS started life as a size seven, but I've been slowly enlarging it for several months now.
Given that all the adult females in my life have heads in the range of 54-55 (mom, both sisters, wife), I wish you the best of luck! :)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Women often look nice in men's hats, but I have always attributed it to some sort of "masculinity in the wrong place" sort of thing that we men appreciate.

Speaking personally, I don't think men's fedoras are the sexiest hats on women. I have a strange fixation on Cloches, which I think are some of the hottest hats I have ever seen. Some of the contemporary cloche designs in recent years have been amazing.

I also have a weird obsession with almost any style of women's hat that resembles anything worn by Faye Dunaway in China Town.

A topic I have written about at length before: Men in women's clothing is icky; while, Women in men's clothing is perceived as sexy. It seems natural, but there is something undeniably psychological going on here. At the time, I blamed it on the fact that the male form is closer to an androgynous ideal in the fashion world, while clothing traditionally tailored for women has tended to depend quite heavily on the female form itself for inspiration.

It's all very interesting.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I was watching Turner Classic Movies the other night (just about the only thing I like to watch on TV) and they were featuring some of the "teen angst" movies from the 80s, i.e. Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Risky Business, etc. There were two movies---Better Off Dead ('85, with John Cusack---really funny), and Sixteen Candles ('84, w/ Molly Ringwald). In Better Off Dead, Cusack's love interest, a beautiful French girl, was wearing what looked to be a man's vintage felt fedora with a pretty wide brim and it looked great on her. In Sixteen Candles Ringwald is seen wearing a man's straw fedora and it looked very classy on her. I was surprised, mainly because of the time period of these movies, and the fact that these young women were looking so sexy and stylish with men's hats on.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Wasn't the fedora originally a women's hat?

Check out the wonderful historical threads from recent weeks. The name came from a woman, but it was applied to mens hats immediately (Also it was interchangeable with homburg and originally looked like what we would call a homburg. Just justifying my third picture here)

Edit:
Speaking of women in men's fedoras
Nicole%20Kidman.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Yeps said:
Check out the wonderful historical threads from recent weeks. The name came from a woman, but it was applied to mens hats immediately (Also it was interchangeable with homburg and originally looked like what we would call a homburg. Just justifying my third picture here)

Edit:
Speaking of women in men's fedoras
Nicole%20Kidman.jpg

What Nicole Kidman movie is that from? (that is her, right?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot