Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women go weak for stroking my Teddy Bear flying jacket!! (one crazy story)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An hour ago, I had to pop into my local govt offices.

This pretty receptionist starts saying to me: "That looks like one of those old vintage jackets, wow, it has so much character!"
I'm pinching myself, thinking, 'Paddy, this sort of thing just doesn't happen to you, you'll wake up in a few minutes old son!'[huh]

Then she says: "Oh, the fur is different on the inside, it's all long and shaggy, mmmm, it looks like a big cuddly teddy bear, I love it! Do you mind if I stroke your teddy bear fur? ":rolleyes:
(I kid you not!! in the middle of a public area, this receptionist was going doolalley over my old Irvin flying jacket! :eek: ).
Then she finishes by saying: "It must be lovely to have that sort of history on your back."

"Yes ma'am, it sure is! But I'm just doing my duty by this old teddy bear! :cool: :cool: " (sadly I didn't really give that as my reply, but it was a surreal enough situation to do so!!! Now just cue that Twilight Zone music!!).
Irvin-Battle_of_Britain001.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Then she says: "Oh, the fur is different on the inside, it's all long and shaggy, mmmm, it looks like a big cuddly teddy bear, I love it! Do you mind if I stroke your teddy bear fur? "

Man, that happened in broad daylight?
Exactly what kind of "Government Office" was that?
That must be one awesome jacket!:cheers1:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wow!

What an advertisement for Irvin jackets! Now if only you could have that sort of thing happen every day,.....:cool2:
I wonder what would happen if a guy was to wear one of those jackets inside out??? Might just prove to be irresistable! :D

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, dear friend...

You have a VIVID imagination! You really had me going there for a minute. What a great story! Nice payback for that 16th USAAF thread I started. -- ZF[angel]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I kid you not, this Irvin jacket just touched buttons...

It was really surreal! This ACTUALLY happened in a public govt building yesterday. I'm sure Freud would have had a field day with this woman with a thing for 'Teddy Bear fur' lined Irvin jackets from over 60 years ago.

Maybe she thought that little cute Teddy Bears were real creatures and this jacket had been made from their pelts!

But she meant well :)

shamus

Suspended
Paddy,

If i were you, I'd make it a point to stop by that govt office maybe once a week.... Oh and wear the jacket. Maybe get a nice furry hat too...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just goes to show, 60-year-old jackets still have class!

Even over 60's can have that 'appeal' to them! Just goes to show that pure class stands out, no matter how old or moth eaten it is!! And to me, that old "Teddy Bear" Irvin jacket is just the epitomy of vintage flying!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
My own experience

Paddy,

I hadn't read this post before, but I can offer a remarkable coincidence. I live in an old RAF town where many ex-serving officers and their wives stay after they retire. Some of the women are widows of officers, and others are ex-WRAF themselves. You can tell them, as they are always very smart and have a certain appearance, irrespective of their age.

One day this winter my wife and I were walking in the town and I was wearing my best 'Irvin'. We passed a charming and well-dressed lady in her 80s wearing a 'sweetheart' wings brooch. She stopped us and asked if my jacket was an original. I said it was, and she told us about her time as young WRAF 'plotter' at Hornchurch during the Battle of Britain and how later she worked at Bomber Command HQ at High Wycombe. She told us that her boyfriends wore jackets 'just like that one' and I gained a distinct impression that some of them had not 'made it' back from raids. It was fascinating talking to her, but my wife and I had business to do. As we were about to make our leave, the old lady asked my wife, "Can he give me a hug?" A strange request, but she went on, "I haven't been hugged by someone wearing an Irvin jacket for ages!" Amused, my wife gave her 'permission' and I put my arms around this delightful old lady and held her gently. "Not like that" she said, "Open up the jacket". I obliged and she slid her arms around my waist, wrapping herself in the jacket and burying her face in the shearling .

Now, the lady may have been over 80, but she was trim and smelled and felt like a woman, and as she held me I became...er...embarrassed. Right there in the street, in front of all those people...and my wife. The guys will know what I mean. You feel so...obvious and I was afraid it would be...well, noticeable if I let go. She obviously sensed my discomfort and, being a lady, just hung on, it seemed for ages. Finally things returned to normal and we separated. "Thank you" she said with a knowing smile, "for that one last time". And I don't think she meant being wrapped up in an Irvin jacket!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Alan,
Thanks for sharing that story. Such a true moment. It may be the huge cup of coffee I just wolfed, but I am suddenly in a tremendous mood!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A sentimental journey with Eardley...

Just read your piece this morning Alan (Thurs 16) and found it very moving actually. I dare say on reflection Alan, you must realise how much that lady 'honoured' you by feeling comfortable enough to request such a thing.
A wonderful, wonderful story my friend. I really must get down there with my Irvin!

And I dare say, the sadness of it all is that at her grand old octogenarian age, that probably will be 'the last' time she ever recaptures those moments from 60+ years ago when she hugged young men for the last time, never to return to her arms...
Alan, how often do you get to take a lady on a 'sentimental journey' back in time like that? that's a moment to treasure and has actually brought a tear to my eye, old softy that I am!

You are a true gentleman to have comforted that fine lady, you old Teddy Bear you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112