Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women serving during WWII

zaika

One Too Many
I got a hold of a WEALTH of photos from my grandfather's service during WWII in Italy and North Africa. This photo was included, and I just had to share it with you ladies!

Probably WACs?

2360646180_530c0aa85d.jpg

alexandra

Practically Family
I found my Granny's VAD shirt in the basement today which was a nice find. I wish I could find the whole uniform.

PS

A-List Customer
Has anyone read "Our Mothers War"?
It was about WW2
I wrote a paper recently for my History class and used this as one of my main reference books. I did so through Google.com/scholar so I wasn't able to read large portions of it. However it was very inspiring. Even certain passages just really hit home. My paper was based around the underlying abilities of women that often get overlooked.
I am going to get my own copy here shortly but found what I did read in the book really inspirational. It just really exemplified what we are capable of even if we aren't sure of ourselves.
pback_book.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
PS...that looks like a great book! i'll be buying that one, thank you very much. :)

Charlie - as a russophile, i salute you for mentioning those amazing women in this thread. when i was student, their stories really surprised me. i had no idea they fought in combat.

leaette

A-List Customer
I have that book. It's a great starter for the beginner researcher. If you're a seasoned researcher, it's good to have in your stash of books but you will probably know everything that is in that book. However, the bibliography in that book is great. I've highlighted many sources.

"Since you went away" is a great book you can get on amazon. I've read it a few times already. It's all letters written by women on the homefront.

"We band of angels" is a fantastic read about US nurses in the Pacific who get captured by the Japanese.

That is a really cute pic zaika. I can't imagine bathing with a canteen cup! ARGH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashone