Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Won nice vintage suit on Ebay

anon`

One Too Many
First, the obligatory "Nice suit!" (To this, I would add that you're damn lucky I didn't see this listing, except that I don't have $275 to spend on a suit currently and anyway don't really need yet another blue DB. But one should not disparage another's good find, and it's always better to have too many than too few vintage blue suits.)

Second, to answer your question, no, I've not.

(Eh... ok?)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Justin -- I would be very pleased if you would delete the last 2 lines of that post.

See you at Christmas!

Maguire

Practically Family
actually it appears i'm in a pickle: I think i looked at the sizing wrong- my pants sizes usually are 36x 32. I'm pretty sure thats LxW. These pants i assumed were 35-30 which could easily be tailored to fit properly.... but from what i'm looking at they may infact be 30x 35. So instead of being for a tall thin person they are for a short, fat one. I already paid and certainly will take them, but I'm hoping i don't just have to put them up on ebay as soon as they arrive. Think a tailor can save me here or is this too much?

Dr Doran

Thanks for the surgery Anon'/Justin! You da man. You know how it is with things like that ...
Miss1929, thanks ... you know I'm your biggest fan. Hope to see you Friday.

Maguire, if I understand correctly, the custom is to list AxB for trouser sizes in which
A is the waist and
B is the inseam.

The trousers on your new suit may be OK. If I understand right, they have a cuff and they also have an inch to spare. Their inseam is 30. If you wear a 32 inseam normally (which would be about right if your height is between about 5'10" and 6'0" or if you are as tall as 6'2" but have a longer torso and not terribly long legs) then you will be able to have your tailor VERY inexpensively (~$10) take the inseam down to 31 without sacrificing the cuff. This will be a little short but you can always wear your coolest socks with that suit, and then pretend that the slight shortness of the trousers is deliberate. Your best best is this: if your tailor knows how to make proper false cuffs (mine does not) then you have nothing to worry about at all.

Maguire

Practically Family
Doran said:
Thanks for the surgery Anon'/Justin! You da man. You know how it is with things like that ...
Miss1929, thanks ... you know I'm your biggest fan. Hope to see you Friday.

Maguire, if I understand correctly, the custom is to list AxB for trouser sizes in which
A is the waist and
B is the inseam.

The trousers on your new suit may be OK. If I understand right, they have a cuff and they also have an inch to spare. Their inseam is 30. If you wear a 32 inseam normally (which would be about right if your height is between about 5'10" and 6'0" or if you are as tall as 6'2" but have a longer torso and not terribly long legs) then you will be able to have your tailor VERY inexpensively (~$10) take the inseam down to 31 without sacrificing the cuff. This will be a little short but you can always wear your coolest socks with that suit, and then pretend that the slight shortness of the trousers is deliberate. Your best best is this: if your tailor knows how to make proper false cuffs (mine does not) then you have nothing to worry about at all.
if its 35 x 30 and i'm 36 x 32 then its fine, i've managed to turn a 33 x 31 suit into a 36 x 32 so this shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Dr Doran

I GAWT IT.

Just received the suit today (and already texted Anon', julie "pdxvintagette," and Fedoragent about it). Phenomenal. Absolutely gorgeous in every respect. It's a true 44 Long, I'd estimate. No labels anywhere. Interior lining in tone-on-tone brown rayon? cloth. Dropped belt loops, midnight blue color, long "rise," long coat, just gorgeous. I don't think I'll get it tailored -- I usually wear a 42 Long, but I'm fine with this. It's a little loose, but not very. I am extremely happy with it.

Maguire

Practically Family
Doran said:
Just received the suit today (and already texted Anon', julie "pdxvintagette," and Fedoragent about it). Phenomenal. Absolutely gorgeous in every respect. It's a true 44 Long, I'd estimate. No labels anywhere. Interior lining in tone-on-tone brown rayon? cloth. Dropped belt loops, midnight blue color, long "rise," long coat, just gorgeous. I don't think I'll get it tailored -- I usually wear a 42 Long, but I'm fine with this. It's a little loose, but not very. I am extremely happy with it.
i haven't received word from the seller yet on mine, hopefully i'll be pleased as well. Good to know they are delivering the goods your way.

Maguire

Practically Family
Ah, tragedy has struck, the seller emailed me telling me his basement flooded. The suit is ruined and he has cancelled the transaction :( Good news is i won a khaki trenchcoat which just arrived from either him or someone connected to him for between 11 and 20 dollars! I will post pictures of it shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points