Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Won this Inaccurate A-2 Knockoff...cheap!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Knowing what tough crowd this outerwear forum is, especially on leathers that a) are not faithful reproductions of A-2s, et.al., b) made in China, or c) haven't got appropriate manufacturer pedigree, I just thought I'd post this ebay win because it was such a deal and allows me the A-2 "look" within my budget so that if by some miracle, or inheritance, I'd accumulate sufficient funds to drop on a spot-on repro, I would be doing so with sure knowledge that the A-2 style jacket would be complimentary to my build. Thanks for glancing.

240141110_o.jpg

240141086_o.jpg

240141067_o.jpg

240141176_o.jpg

dean

kampkatz

Practically Family
Dean, I have a similar jacket with leather cuffs and waist band that I picked up about 10 years ago at a garage sale for $3. It is comfortable for casual wear and I don't mind explaining to those who ask that it is NOT an A-2 in any reasonable sense of the word.

deanglen

kampkatz said:
Dean, I have a similar jacket with leather cuffs and waist band that I picked up about 10 years ago at a garage sale for $3. It is comfortable for casual wear and I don't mind explaining to those who ask that it is NOT an A-2 in any reasonable sense of the word.

Thanks, Kampkatz. I wasn't trying to be hard on the forum, I admire those who know the real from the fake. I would prefer a repro. I'm simply trying to see if the style works for me. And ten bucks wouldn't break the bank, right now, (which is not a good time for banks;) ). I also realize it won't fit exactly like a Goodwear, so its more the style I'm judging. Most people I know perosnally wouldn't know an A-2 from a MA-1. But I know people who do, like this forum, from which I have learned a lot, and learned from helpful Loungers like you. Thanks again for the post reply.

dean

Edward

Bartender
Not a bad looking jacket, IMHO. What is the finish - is it a suede feel, or jut a "distrssed" leather style? I should think it would pair nicely with a pair of khakis and collar / tie for a late 40s / early 50s-casual style look....

deanglen

Not sure. It didn't mention suede. But, agree that it looks like suede. I hope it isn't, but in any case, it was cheap. I like the look of it, too, Edward. Thanks for your post.

dean

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Looks suede to me. I have a suede one just like it and it's nice, different from the usual leather A-2 lookalikes you see around.

deanglen

Thanks, Thunder and Wil. If it is suede, or just distressed, I wonder if I coud successfully dye it a bit darker. I found some products on-line for that purpose. I wonder how it would turn out.[huh]

dean

deanglen

Well...I'll wait until I get it in front of me, but I like the richer tones. I'm just a tweaker at heart like you, Wil. The fun is in the modding.

dean

deanglen

The jacket has arrived and it fits like a glove! Now, the leather; not suede, it looks like leather that has had its finish rubbed off consistently over the whole jacket, which those in the know might call 'distressed', but I'm not sure what to call it, with some grain visible, and I swear I can see tiny random flecks of a finish on the surface, inspite of the overall dullness of the leather. I will post pics later, not that anyone is waiting with baited breath for them;). I love this jacket. Only wish it was a correct repro.

dean

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I frankly don't care about 100% reproductions unless that's what I specifically set out to buy. Otherwise, if the jacket looks good and has style, as far as I'm concerned you are a winner! :eusa_clap

DON'T worry about whether it's a correct repro or not - it's a great jacket that you like. Everything else is white noise.

deanglen

And now...after modification...here it is!

Decided to use Tulip brand fabric paint, "Chocolate Matte" color to give the jacket a russet finish. The grain shows through very well, and it feels like leather, slightly more like vinyl than leather, but it was a ten dollar jacket. The 9th Bomb Squadron patch is painted on using the same brand of paint. Great stuff! Flexes well and great color coverage. Not an accurate repro, but it has a nice "feel" to it. AND it was fun!!!

457129333_1594884914_433589536_1257.jpg

457130113_1594887938_433590320_1257.jpg

457358014_1595770647_433823225_1257.jpg

dean

Edward

Bartender
It'll be interesting to see how that finish breaks in. You certainly got a very uniform looking coverage to it, which is impressive. Interesting to hear the fit is so good (pics of you wearing it?), given how many A2-based casual jackets are so baggy. Definitely a great start to see if you like the A2 style without a huge outlay, and a fun project too. Have you tried pairing it with any of your hand-painted leather caps yet?

deanglen

Edward said:
It'll be interesting to see how that finish breaks in. You certainly got a very uniform looking coverage to it, which is impressive. Interesting to hear the fit is so good (pics of you wearing it?), given how many A2-based casual jackets are so baggy. Definitely a great start to see if you like the A2 style without a huge outlay, and a fun project too. Have you tried pairing it with any of your hand-painted leather caps yet?

Yes, I have tried wearing them together, and thank your for your response, Edward, that paint does cover well, and I think that if it creates some distinction for a rather pedestrian jacket, it's served the purpose I intended for it. Indeed, it's no Aero or Goodwear work of art, it's for knocking around in vintage style,...or is it costume?;)

dean

deanglen

kampkatz said:
Dean,
Looks like you have had fun with your jacket experiment.
Someday, perhaps you will have a more accurate A2 repro.
Paul

Yes, thank you, the day may come, when the requisite funds become available. Until then..there's fun and creativity to be had.:)

dean

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It looks alright.
It's a good starter jacket. I agree that quality A-2s are a bit expensive.
This one gives you an idea of how much you like wearing an A-2 and what outfits you think it goes with.
:eusa_clap

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925