Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wonder Balsam on a leather jacket?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Doc Martens sells this stuff for shoes, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work just as well on jackets. The ingredients are lanolin, coconut oil, and beeswax. Maybe there's too much beeswax and the jacket won't breathe well after treatment, but I don't know. Has anybody tried it on a jacket? I'd be using it for a goatskin jacket. It's good stuff from what I remember.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M3R2HE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AH1YFAUS3NHX2

There's also Renapur, which uses jojoba oil and beeswax, but I've never used it.

https://www.amazon.com/Renapur-Leat...270128&sr=8-1&keywords=renapur+leather+balsam

Plumbline

One Too Many
I use Renapur all the time (mostly on shoes but also on jackets) great stuff and lasts a REALLY long time ... a little and often is the order of the day. Hasn't rotted stitching or done anything malicious to my jackets other than keeping them looking fine and helping the wear process :)

willyto

One Too Many
I stick to what John Chapman said once in an interview I read: Vaseline

I clean it well with Lexol Deep Cleaner first and then just a layer of Lexol Deep Conditioner. Remove with a cloth the excess and apply Vaseline.

When it comes to shoes if they're vintage shoes I'll use Cadillac shoe conditioner and also the Glycerine treatment.

Edward

Bartender
I've found Pecards to be fantastic stuff for a jacket that has dried out a bit. Can't see why that DMs stuff would do any damage to a jacket if it's okay for leather boots.

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
I've used Wonder Balsam on my (cow) leather boots, leather bags, and leather jackets. Even a lambskin jacket. It works pretty much like mink oil, and will waterproof and condition the leather. On a new leather garment, I'll typically add a very thin layer and let it set for a few hours. Then work in another very thin layer, and immediately buff everything off. Repeat as necessary. You don't want to leave any Wonder Balsam on the garment when you wear it, as it is very sticky and dirt and dust will stick to it like crazy. On my previously treated leather boots, I'll do a quick polish with the Wonder Balsam every couple of months. I recommend wearing disposable latex gloves when you use it, because it is really difficult to clean off your hands.

Please note that Wonder Balsam will darken the color of your leather permanently. If you do one part of the jacket, you'll want to do the whole jacket to make the color even. And it's a job...set aside an afternoon to work in that Wonder Balsam and to buff it off.

I do find that Wonder Balsam is easier to use on shoes/boots because it wipes off cleaner. With jackets, I find that the Wonder Balsam will get stuck in the seams, and it is a pain to clean it out. You'll be finding dirty Wonder Balsam in your seams for weeks after you've applied it. Which is why I don't use it for jackets anymore. But it does waterproof and condition the leather.

There are almost 1000 reviews of Wonder Balsam on Amazon as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-U...511091430&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=wonde+rbalsam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112