Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Felt vs. Fur Felt

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been looking over the board for some info on this and I've seen a few things that seemed helpful but I'd like a straight answer to put my mind to rest.

I realize Wool felt is inferior to Fur felt.
I realize Wool felt is also less expensive than Fur felt.

Could you guys give me a few good reasons why I should NOT buy a wool felt hat over a fur felt?

I am low on money, very low on money, but I've been looking at some wool felt bowlers and fedoras for everyday use with an everyday suit - in other words, nothing formal. However, as stated in other threads, I don't want to put on a decent suit to go out on the town and put a piece of garbage on my head.

Suggestions on selection please! Also, if I did get a wool, what are some things to seriously consider as far as upkeep and tweaking? Thanks!

p.s. hats I'm interested in are at VHS if that helps. :)

Mark G

A-List Customer
There are quite a few threads on wool vs. fur felt. You can do a search to find them. Most people into hats can spot a wool hat a mile away, just from the look. For what a new wool hat cost you should check your local antique stores and pawn shops for a fur felt. It may take you a little while but you may get lucky. A lot of us here have made incredible finds like this. I have a Statoliner that was in purfect shape for twenty dollars that was found in an antique store.

I think you will be much happier if you hold out for fur. (IMO)

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
There's nothing wrong with buying a wool hat. If you're a large size, and don't have a lot of money - it's a good option. They also make a good travel hat, since they can be put into a suitcase, or bag, and come out looking like new.

The "Lite Felt" hats by Bailey, and others, with the cloth sweatband are extremely comfortable, IMO. I own the "Tino" in dark brown.

As for shrinkage, bleeding: they are water repellent. I dunked my Bailey in the tub, to reshape it into an open crown, and it took a good deal of time working the water into the felt in order to soak it. A normal rainshower would mostly roll off your hat. The color did not bleed or fade. There was some shrinkage when it dried, but no more than the Akubra fur felts I've done this too.

One thing to keep in mind is that they simply can't be shaped without steam. Hence their "packable" nature. After my experiments, I would recommend living with the factory shape.

Joel

The real Henry

Practically Family
In my opinion wool is NO WAY an option to felt. It doesn't hold the shape of the hat good and it will shrink very fast. I also was told by Marc Kitter(Adventurebuilt Deluxe) that wool hats can not be reblocked. I've had several new wool hats and they really are not worth the money.

And one fact about wool hats that can really annoying is that they begin to stink really bad in rain.

Regards,
Henrik

akaBruno

Suspended
I have a few that I really like. My Lite Felt fedora (like Joel said) is really comfortable. I also have a couple o' Indy wools that are great beaters. Most folks don't know one hat from another and who cares if they do? No sense in being snobby about it. It's what's under the hood that counts. :D

BRUNO

Undertow

Mark G said:
There are quite a few threads on wool vs. fur felt. You can do a search to find them.

As I stated earlier, I've already looked around on the board but most of the information was either redundant or opinion.

Here's what I mean: most of the loungers say wool felt doesn't stand up to rain as well, isn't as silky (more coarse, in fact), stinks after some time (having been wet often), tends to lose its shape, can't be reblocked, unreliable alternatives, etc.

However, I'm looking at some water resistant hats from VHS, a reputable online shop, for anywhere around $30-$50. If it's already water resistant, I shouldn't run into about half the problems listed above. Granted, it's not going to be an AWESOME hat, but it should still function, shouldn't it?

In other words, just because I can't afford the BMW shouldn't mean I can't get some reasonable, long-lasting enjoyment out of a Honda Civic, right?

Or am I totally wrong on this? And if I do get a wool felt, what are some things I should do to prevent shrinkage, loss of shape, stinkiness, etc?

akaBruno

Suspended
If ya like it, buy it. Don't worry about what other people think. Hell, I'm more worried about gettin the fur felts wet, than I am a cheap ol wool hat. :D

And the stink usually comes from the guy wearing it. heheheh

BRUNO

RedPop4

One Too Many
Undertow said:
As I stated earlier, I've already looked around on the board but most of the information was either redundant or opinion.

Here's what I mean: most of the loungers say wool felt doesn't stand up to rain as well, isn't as silky (more coarse, in fact), stinks after some time (having been wet often), tends to lose its shape, can't be reblocked, unreliable alternatives, etc.

However, I'm looking at some water resistant hats from VHS, a reputable online shop, for anywhere around $30-$50. If it's already water resistant, I shouldn't run into about half the problems listed above. Granted, it's not going to be an AWESOME hat, but it should still function, shouldn't it?

In other words, just because I can't afford the BMW shouldn't mean I can't get some reasonable, long-lasting enjoyment out of a Honda Civic, right?

Or am I totally wrong on this? And if I do get a wool felt, what are some things I should do to prevent shrinkage, loss of shape, stinkiness, etc?
You're not totally wrong on this at all. There is an air of elitism and condescension here, sometimes, that can be intimidating. Don't let it bother you, instead take whatever knowledge you can glean from it and make informed choices. Like what you wear and wear what you like. Hell, some of us even wear *****:eek: :eek: *****baseball caps sometimes.

deanglen

RedPop4 said:
You're not totally wrong on this at all. There is an air of elitism and condescension here, sometimes, that can be intimidating. Don't let it bother you, instead take whatever knowledge you can glean from it and make informed choices. Like what you wear and wear what you like. Hell, some of us even wear *****:eek: :eek: *****baseball caps sometimes.

Ditto on the wear the hat you want! Wool versus fur, I think should be wool and fur, appreciate both and let each have its place.

dean

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I would find it hard to believe that you couldn't get enjoyment out of one of the Bailey hats, assuming you like the style. They are well made for the price, IMO.

Talk to Duane at the thefedorastore.com, even though he doesn't seem to offer a discount to lounge members anymore.

deanglen

Zig2k143 said:
Ditto... I don't own any hats over $80's. It doesn't mean they aren't nice hats and it doesn't mean I don't look good in them.

Sorry I edited my post after you quoted it, Zig, but I wanted to be clear on what I agreed with in Red Pop's quote. Like any group of folks, forums, congregations, et al., there are those who can point to the 'best' and support their position. I believe a case can be made for increasing hat wearing by promoting wool hats that benefit from ehancements that nullify wool's limitations. I'm pretty sure my next few purchases will be wool. Their existence won't diminish the quality of anyone's fur felt classic, and it will get more hats into my collection that I can wear because I like them.

dean

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Caoas Headwear...

I have several wool hats and I like them alot... Capas has some nice ones... I think the Untouchables are $18.00 each...

http://capasheadwear.com/

800-932-0257

untouchable.jpg

johnnycanuck

You CAN get really good wool felt that will stand up to the elements. The problem is when you refine it to that point, it costs as much as a fir felt hat. I know because I own one and it came from Smithbilt hats down in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. In fact it stands up better to the elements then my Biltmore fir felt...... anyway.

Now, as for the cheaper, off the rack variety. You can do a few things to make it last longer.
1. Scotchgaurd it regularly (once every few months) So if you get caught in a little shower/snow it will not soak in, it will just bead off.
2. Make sure it has a liner. It will keep the moisture (sweat) off the felt so it will not shrink with regular wear.
3. If it is going to rain that day, bring an umbrella or just don't wear the hat.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

Johnny

Anders

One of the Regulars
Back when I knew absolutely nothing about hats (*ahem*, about a month ago) I bought a new wool stetson . I've been reasonably satisfied with it, though I've noticed one tendency that might not be a big deal to some, but really annoys me, and that is the hat's tendency to collect lint like a magnet. Just a heads up, as I'm sure others may have access to those elusive lint rollers that my hometown stores seem to boycott.

Also, I must repeat the advice of Mark G. A patient week on ebay landed me three used hats for a total sum of much less than I spent on my new one.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
So far I'm still looking for hat in the wool section because some of them are crushable / packable.

So is there any Packable / crushable and water repellent fur felt fedora out there? Recommend model please?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Check out the felt hat basics thread.
bottom line; fur felt is finer than wool felt. Wool will break down faster and tends to sag faster when rained upon. The reason fur took over is because of it's resllience to the elements. yes it is a sponge when felted though back in the days before plastics and at a time when people still didn't like the look of waxed cotton, we used felted fur to insulate out heads. It's not the best idea though it looks cool. You'll go through several wool hats (if you wear hats as I do) In the same time it would take to wear out one fur felt hat.

Anyway... Fur just holds up better depending on the fur of course and how it is finished.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Since the thread was brought up again ...
I am a very conservative person, but on this topic I have to swing the other way by saying, "Just do what feels good, man!"

You already know the facts: you know it won't last as long, you know you'll have to treat it with rain repellant once in awhile, you know its cheaper ...

I have a $15 wool fedora from Burlington Coat Factory that I literally try to abuse, but so far it has lasted. At $15 I treat it like a ball cap. I wear it when I play with or walk my dogs, when my neice is around (4 year old who'll immediately grab my hat, slam it on her head, and run around like mad), and even in light rain.
AND It looks pretty good. Even my untrained eye can tell it is not a "nice" hat, but this "test run" hat gives me a feel for style and size of crown and brim (for instance, it has a 2.5" brim and I can tell from it that I could not go any smaller).
You also mentioned not wanting to go out with garbage on your head. Honestly? Most people cannot tell what hat is junk and what is nice. Mine is 15 stinking dollars and I get more compliments on the hat because of its style than any other hat I own (and I haven't worn ball caps for years). Anything that your spending $30-50 on (your numbers), should look decent enough to make you happy.

Sorry if I'm ranting or rambling, but some are a bit snobbish about this. In summary I say why not? If, as you said yourself, you're low on money, then just buy what you can afford and enjoy the heck out of it! :fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112