Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Weight Translation

Brevetti

New in Town
I have searched through many results, but have not found an answer to my question. So, I thought I would start my own thread.

Suits today are very thin and flimsy, and are classified with the Super System. They have higher thread counts, thus making them lightweight. Most suits I see off-the-rack today are Super 120 to Super 150. But what do these numbers translate to in ounces, the traditional unit of wool weight measurement? If a suit is labeled as Super 120, does that translate to about 8 oz? From what I have gathered, anywhere from 11 to 16 oz is a good weight for suits that can be worn year-round. Is there a way of determining a suit's weight in ounces, given its Super Weight?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Is there a way of determining a suit's weight in ounces, given its Super Weight?
No. There is no correlation between the two. The Super numbers simply refer to the fineness of the wool strands. Supers are not marketed by weight so to determine the precise weight you would need inside information from the manufacture or you would need to weight the cloth in bulk (I forget how much is used). That said, if you handle enough cloth you could probably make a pretty accurate guesstimate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo