Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woolrich 503 and 523...anyone know the difference?

ka2pbo

New in Town
Besides color ; what is the difference between a Woolrich 503 and a 523? I see both models in vintage and newer coats. I have a chance to buy an 80s vintage 503 and a 60s vintage 523. Just wondering what the main differences are.

Thanks
Rick

PennaWool

New in Town
I’m not an expert, but definitely an enthusiast so this is what I believe the answer to be. As you noted the pattern is different. The cut of both jackets appears to basically be the same in addition to pocket and button layout. The 523 has a quilted inner liner that the 503 does not. The 503 has a basic heavy fabric liner only. I own multiple 503 jackets and have not purchased a 523 yet, but looking at both of them my sense is the 503 may be a slightly heavier weight wool. I also believe that the 503 is a more enduring model that came much earlier than the 523 and endured longer than the 523 did. There are at least two more color variations of this jacket that I am aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points