Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work in progress.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I know this is Technically HATS Section Subject matter, but honestly didnt feel there was much interest in this type of thing in particular over the Felted, and feathered Variety.

Here is Strictly Function and Straight necessity.

(For Real Men only. :banplease:)

workin hard or Hardly workin...these Old Sewing machines Im using are a bit like Flying a Bomber actually.

when I get established, I will hopefully be able to keep you happy with my prices. cough*ELC*cough.

What you dont get in Quality...you dont get in a hole in your Pocket for now. LOL! re2.jpg e3rf.jpg 3rr.jpg 44.jpg 23rff.jpg

Listening to some Cassettes from a Friend, What fun...the Stereo Is a PA system, and the Sewing machines are Elnas and a newly Aquired Singer industrial which I still havent got the touch for Just yet...This is all new territory for yours truly.

What Im doing right now Is a brand new Experience for me, Using these things is like as alien to my as learning the controls on a UFO, but I got no place else to go. :D

Hope you Like.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Again Im so new at this I cant even get the Earflaps and bias tape installed correctly...

But what the heck, worth a kick at the can.

we must learn to be master of the machine.

22.jpg 2413r.jpg

PS. Yes, thats a Real 8-track player on top of the tape deck, Louder is better@ three and three Quarter IPS.

Bed time for me.

night Gents.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Good work!
I read this was how John Chapman started out- old machines and no idea (no 8 track also), but self taught.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent work Dumpster Diver..really exciting stuff...have sent you a PM :)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
eee.jpg e3fefwefe.jpg 23drfgf.jpg 3r2r32.jpg

Heres what Im working on for bn1966, wish me luck so I might get yours to correct size! haha.

This is a recycled (cannibalized) Thinsulate A-2 made into Four pannel leather Squadron hat.

Lot of work, be patient plz. :D

PM me about the Material for the earflap, I have several choices, one is stretchy fleece, the other is a Yellow Fur you can see them both in the pic.

The Coveralls are what Im using for under the brim and I found some Vintage Brown Bias Tape for it at Value village.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
3ff.jpg refwf.jpg fevdv.jpg rfref.jpg unnamed (1)3f.jpg unnamed (1)fefef.jpg wefefef.jpg

...and still more photos.

and once again, the leather Shell and liner were made from a Recycled *Thinsulate* brand A-2 style Jacket.7

the Earflap and Brim cloth was from a pair of Recycled mechanics coveralls, and the yellow Fur was a Waterloo Swimmers coat that Got Recycled too.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Me and You, we was Talking about the Flipped up Duck Bill Brim or peak or whatever you call it on these Hats...hahah

I remember this discussion before, now Im thinking this hat was good worn this way (with a peaked up Brim) For Mechanics working on engines and need to stick their heads close down into somewhere...or being cramped up inside a cockpit and constantly Bumping your Brim on the overheads. Anyway Its a Military thing I *think* as much as it was civilian trend post WWII, but I am totally guessing about that, maybe it was cool back at the turn of the century or even before, I have no details. Its Distinct! I will say that much, and its even Bold!

heck, it keeps it on my head better in the wind too that way.

haha, I think more and more about the origins of the Flipped Up Brim style, when and where does it apply to in history. How it evolved etc.

no one really *does* the duck bill flipped up Brim anymore, I know I love it, I do!

Why, Well, I duno, Its got some kinda oldschool Mojo to it or *something!*

Its part of the hat I would say, Its why I had to make the Brim out of Cardboard like an original, otherwise you couldnt break the brim in by flipping it up it would be a double edged sword, the latter being the cardboard will deteriorate faster than plastic, but plastic will get brittle and crack if you bust it up and peak the brim and honestly it doesnt *wear* right that way if its one of those modern type baseball hat brims. I dont mind a brim with some Give. it should last long enough I would say.

Also Re-note, the Two Sides of the brim are Creased in, Like a sharpshooters hat, and betting its how it was *Supposed* to be worn on Bomber missions.

Im wearing mine and Its Freezing Rain and wind tonight! Sure is warm enough I think. :D

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
unnamed (29).jpg unnamed (28).jpg unnamed (19).jpg unnamed (15).jpg unnamed (23).jpg

Heres some Compared next to the Original Hat itself!

And a few Shots to show the Brim As it looks when Peaked up.

Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• unnamed (24).jpg
    unnamed (24).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 97
  • unnamed (22).jpg
    unnamed (22).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member