Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workshops in San Diego County

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
(feel free to delete if you feel necessary, bartender ladies :) )

I'm thinking of holding some workshops in my design studio here in N County San Diego having to do with period sewing, vintage patterns, and attaining a vintage look... maybe one a month for a fee. Vanessa and I taught a class at Costume College in Van Nuys, and the class filled up pretty quickly so I'm thinking of having a go locally. Things I'm thinking of are for the 1 hour dress (being a day-long class), using period resources to attain a vintage look, basic hair and makeup, desciphering vintage patterns, and re-creating vintage style with modern sewing techniques and sources (fabric, trims, buttons, etc and how to find them).

And opinions/input? This isn't really an ad, just more want to put feelers out to see what people are interested in and think they'd be willing to pay for.

Blondie

Practically Family
What level of sewing would one need to attend ? I think that is important that you let girls know, as someone like me that can't even thread a needle might not get enough out of it, being a "beginner" at sewing & patterns.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I don't really sew, nor do I have my sewing machine in Southern CA, but I'd love to attend a beauty/makeup/hair class. I'd also definitely be interested in an informational class about vintage fashion.

Lauren

Yeah, true... darn it!
Exactly the sort of input I was looking for, thanks! And if I did sewing seminars it would state which level you'd need to be to attend :)

Snookie

Practically Family
Lauren, have you thought about advertising methods? The cheapest thing I can think of is to make some flyers (you know those little 1/4 sheet or 1/2 sheet ones) and ask some places to put them out. Like vintage stores, or swing dances. I can't think of any other places, but many stores and dances will have an area for flyers. And then put up a small website with some info/exciting pictures, I think you'll get more interest with a website than if you just list an email address/phone number on the flyer.

Of course, lots of people use Myspace to advertise, but I don't know the first thing about that.

Oh, also, people get extra excited about hair and makeup when an event's coming up. For example, how about a hair/makeup workshop in early July, before Camp Hollywood? If you advertise well, I bet you might even get some OC girls to come down.

Lauren

WOW! Those are great suggestions! Thanks! I know there's a balboa and some ragtime events in San Diego, and those would be good times to try it out. And of course, the events in LA are too many to be named! Thanks for the super good suggestions :D

Snookie

Practically Family
How about advertising prior to those events, plus flyers at the events for next month's workshop. I think that would work really well.

Check out the calendars and see when people might want certain topics, like the 20's dressmaking class prior to a Ragtime event, and vintage hair prior to Camp Hollywood, and try extra hard to target for those topics.

If you're planning to be at an event, ask the promoter to make an announcement for you - this would work better at a casual weekly event than a big formal one, of course.

It might also be good to plan out your topics maybe 2-3 months and put everything on the current flyer, so that people can plan ahead/build interest for the future. If you plan several at once, how about offering a discount if people buy 2 or 3 sessions? You know, 1 class is $50, but 3 classes is $130. This might be something to do later, after you're a huge success and you're sure you want to continue with the workshops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo