World War I-Themed Christmas Advert

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by V.C. Brunswick, Nov 20, 2014.

1. The British supermarket chain Sainsbury's produced this touching Christmas advert for 2014 based on the 1914 Christmas Truce. I thought about posting it in the "Favorite Commercials" thread but felt that it deserved its own thread.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Thank you for posting. This is one of my favorite historical events of all time. Yes, as with everything, there are highly educated, too-clever-by-a-half people who can deconstruct the human spirit out of anything and, yes, not everything surrounding this event fits the spirit-lifting narrative perfectly, but it did happen. Soldiers on both sides, for a moment of shared camaraderie and good will, met, played soccer and didn't make war at Christmas time. I am moved every time I think about it.

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Beautifully shot, isn't it? Reminds me a lot of the French film, Joyeux Noel. Still unsure how I feel about it being used as an advertisement for a shop, though, even if the product it shows is one being sold for a (sadly somewhat politicised, now) charity. As a historical event, though, it represents a triumph of the human spirit over the orders of powerful men, for just that one day. A glimpse into how different life could have been for the poor bastards in the trenches if people much farther up the tree had had a bit more humanity in them.

4. This appears to include some additional footage that didn't make it into the advert.

6. MikeKardec

MikeKardec One Too Many

7. 31 Model A

31 Model A A-List Customer

The German officer with the moustache was the German line officer in the movie, The Lost Battalion.

Even though the Christmas Truce of 1914 was a great event between adversaries, IMO, I believe no commercial advert should be made or used to their advantage. Politicians do it enough, no need for a private enterprise/company to follow suit.