Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WORLD'S FIRST 3D PRINTED BOATER HAT, but does it even make sense?

LONG STORY SHORT

New in Town
Hi Guys,
I managed to complete my long overdue project - WORLD'S FIRST 3D PRINTED BOATER HAT - right in time for roaring twenties of XXI century... right?

79.5.jpg

79.2.jpg

79.4.jpg

Well... I though it would be a great idea: I would achieve strength, water resistance and I could get the stiff boater that fits the exact shape of my head and it all came true... but, to cut the story - it's simply to heavy for summer hat...
79.9.jpg

79.13.jpg

79.28.jpg

But I'm glad I brought it to the end. I can move on and focus on the next projects. If you're interested in technical details feel free to go to:

https://longstoryshort.pl/kanotier-z-drukarki-3d/

It's in polish, but chrome build-in translator is really good these days :)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi Guys,
I managed to complete my long overdue project - WORLD'S FIRST 3D PRINTED BOATER HAT - right in time for roaring twenties of XXI century... right?

79.5.jpg

79.2.jpg

79.4.jpg

Well... I though it would be a great idea: I would achieve strength, water resistance and I could get the stiff boater that fits the exact shape of my head and it all came true... but, to cut the story - it's simply to heavy for summer hat...
79.9.jpg

79.13.jpg

79.28.jpg

But I'm glad I brought it to the end. I can move on and focus on the next projects. If you're interested in technical details feel free to go to:

Great!
I’ve been waiting for a 3D printed hat.
I’ll take mine in vintage ermine/beaver/vicuna/silk.
B

Hi Guys,

79.5.jpg

79.2.jpg

79.4.jpg

79.9.jpg

79.13.jpg

79.28.jpg

If you were to replicate the texture of the woven plaited straw, do you think the material would be strong enough, and more to your point, much lighter?

LONG STORY SHORT

New in Town
If you were to replicate the texture of the woven plaited straw, do you think the material would be strong enough, and more to your point, much lighter?

The minimum feasible thickness for this print was 2mm. Creating a surface pattern would probably only add thickness + it would be extremely difficult to print without errors (it was already very hard to print just a flat surfaces). I did not wanted to create straw like pattern in order to avoid fake wood on car dash look. Initially, I wanted to create a overlapping honeycomb layers structure, but it was to difficult for me to design in CAD. Later I tired to procedural generate brass oil filter structure for breath ability and light weigh and print it using selective laser sintering method, but the model was to complicated to process, so I stick to solid :)

Hi Guys,

79.5.jpg

79.2.jpg

79.4.jpg

79.9.jpg

79.13.jpg

79.28.jpg

Very neat idea and well executed. Hats and other clothes seem to work best when made from natural materials though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points