Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worth going to Aero leather in Scotland to get jacket made/otr?

Sharpe

New in Town
I live in Australia and I'll be in Scotland in late June for a conference + maybe around 5 extra days. I'll have the opportunity to go to Aero either from Glasgow or Edinburugh by Train if that's possible. Wondering if they have a set up there where I could either buy an otr slim half-belt (1930s?) or get measured up for a custom one (with high armholes etc) and figure out exactly what to get and so on.

dan_t

Practically Family
Yes they do. I believe there's a small 'shop' as such where a number of jackets are available to look at and try on. I'd say that it'd be well worth the trip if you're out that way.
Just keep in mind that if you get measured there and order a jacket, the delivery and possible subsequent Aust. Govt. import duties will significantly hike up the price (+ approx. 25%).

If you're able to settle on a design now & work with Aero to have the jacket made for you, you could collect it during your trip and avoid the additional fees. Just a thought......

Sharpe

New in Town
Yes they do. I believe there's a small 'shop' as such where a number of jackets are available to look at and try on. I'd say that it'd be well worth the trip if you're out that way.
Just keep in mind that if you get measured there and order a jacket, the delivery and possible subsequent Aust. Govt. import duties will significantly hike up the price (+ approx. 25%).

If you're able to settle on a design now & work with Aero to have the jacket made for you, you could collect it during your trip and avoid the additional fees. Just a thought......

Extra fees would suck pretty hard... but i'd be mostly concerned with getting the exact fit right. I've ordered some made to measure clothes online before and it normally doesn't work out exactly the way I want...often too baggy in certain places. I feel like going there, trying things on and talking to them and getting measured there would be the best way to get a fit I'd be happy with.

25% on top of the already quite large price (~700 pounds or more) is hefty though...

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the price we pay for living in the best country in the world!

By the way, I think everyone here is still searching for the 'perfect' fit - even after years of experience, multiple jackets & many, many dollars.......
So true, but if you are in the US you can go through Wade and Carrie which eliminates the worry associated with a custom order.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Yes, go and visit Galashiels, you will not regret it!
I visited Aero a year ago. There are many jackets in stock. If you're looking for a specific jacket / size, do contact the guys at Aero and they will inform you what's in stock - they will also advise you which day suits them better for a visit. Moreover you can try many jackets there and be sure about the fit. You may find that suddenly another type of jacket which you never thought about will be perfect. They will show you around the factory as well.
The smell there is intoxicating.
I would lower my credit limit on my credit card before visiting though. By the time you enter the show room you'd want to buy everything there.

Graemsay

Practically Family
@Sharpe you could always visit Pickings and Parry in Melbourne for your Aero needs. :)

The factory is worth a trip. There's a train from Edinburgh to Galashiels now, and getting between Glasgow and Edinburgh is pretty easy.

The best way would be to have a jacket made up whilst you're in the UK. If you place your order now, that should secure a spot in the queue. Then you could reclaim the 20% VAT at the airport, and hopefully dodge customs coming into Oz. Actually, the VAT free price might fall under the $900 limit for duty free imports...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

By the way, I think everyone here is still searching for the 'perfect' fit - even after years of experience, multiple jackets & many, many dollars.......
I have had that 'Perfect fit' a number of times I have visited Aero. My last jacket, a Thunderbay, was actually a little customised from standard but this did not compromise the standard pattern. I tried something on, the same basic cut in the size I wanted as no Thunderbay in my size was available. Next step was to note arm and body length and any specific details, type of leather, colour of zips and metallic items or add ons.
My contact details were promptly recorded and my order went to the bottom of the stack to wait my turn(Grumble Grumble :p) A couple of months later my jacket turned up, a perfect fit just in time for winter and this jacket remained my short jacket to go for every time.
My advise would be to get there early and sorted as quickly as possible, enjoy the factory and any hospitality, then make for the bus stop and a 20 minute ride to Kelso. A lovely town with a few country based shops including 'A Hume' who sells!!!!! Wait for it...........RM Williams trousers and boots, in fact just about the whole range, and lots of other things other than what you can get cheaper in Australia Haha.
Galashiels is ok but even the staff told me Kelso was nicer : I shall be visiting Edinburgh soon but unfortunately I shall just have to climb to the top of the castle, look South and wish.
Seeya, J.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
The idea of putting your name down now to get in the queue seems sensible, if that's allowed.

You could then go asap on your arrival in Scotland and hopefully have it made up during your few days there, as long as your timeslot was scheduled and your leather is available.

Then you get the MTM and save on customs.

Edward

Bartender
When I bought my Dustbowl, I got myself into the queue, so when I visited and was fitted up and measured, my jacket was due to be made the following week. It is interesting what catches your eye - I went in more or les planning gto have my jacket made from the then very new black goat, but got taken by the Horween Bison (they had some in stock at the time as an experiemnt, but I gather after making a few jackets with it they dropped it - I know some of them weren't keen on how it ages it's a bit teacore, but not sure if thast was thed only issue; I know Aero won't put a hide on the website until theyr'e sure they can get consistent orders in the quantities they use.... my understanding was that's why they don't carry Shinki). Theres' loads of stuff in there..... I'd definitely consider buying a stock jacket if they have one that really is the right fit and has everything you want on it - though be wearned, that also means standard linings, no internal pockets and such, so think carefully about whether you really want those features.

Also worth trying on as many different types and patterns as you like for future sizing reference.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very helpful thread for someone in the OP's situation. Given the high cost of shipping plus import charges to the Land Down Under, it seems to make most sense to either preorder and p/u the jacket while at Galashiels or hopefully find a great fitting jacket from their inventory while at the factory. Maybe both.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I live in Australia and I'll be in Scotland in late June for a conference + maybe around 5 extra days. I'll have the opportunity to go to Aero either from Glasgow or Edinburugh by Train if that's possible. Wondering if they have a set up there where I could either buy an otr slim half-belt (1930s?) or get measured up for a custom one (with high armholes etc) and figure out exactly what to get and so on.

Man, don't pre-order. It's too dodgy. If you're going to be in Scotland, take a trip to Aero, get measured up, look at the models and swallow the extra charge when you get your perfect package in the post.

lina

Practically Family
Man, don't pre-order. It's too dodgy. If you're going to be in Scotland, take a trip to Aero, get measured up, look at the models and swallow the extra charge when you get your perfect package in the post.

I agree. To me at least paying the extra is worth it to get the right fit and specs. The number of jackets bought and sold (and money lost) by those of us here trying to get that all right is no doubt just north of uncountable.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

While pre-ordering sounds good, I think this is the best advice! Get one that really fits you to a Tee!

Sharpe

New in Town
When I bought my Dustbowl, I got myself into the queue, so when I visited and was fitted up and measured, my jacket was due to be made the following week. It is interesting what catches your eye - I went in more or les planning gto have my jacket made from the then very new black goat, but got taken by the Horween Bison (they had some in stock at the time as an experiemnt, but I gather after making a few jackets with it they dropped it - I know some of them weren't keen on how it ages it's a bit teacore, but not sure if thast was thed only issue; I know Aero won't put a hide on the website until theyr'e sure they can get consistent orders in the quantities they use.... my understanding was that's why they don't carry Shinki). Theres' loads of stuff in there..... I'd definitely consider buying a stock jacket if they have one that really is the right fit and has everything you want on it - though be wearned, that also means standard linings, no internal pockets and such, so think carefully about whether you really want those features.

Also worth trying on as many different types and patterns as you like for future sizing reference.

So in a way can you 'save your place' in the queue so they'll prioritise it when you're there? Like if I 'saved' a place, then went there at the start of my trip to get measured and decide everything, and a week later went back, it could be done?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd email Holly and ask what is possible. Certainly, they have a lot of stock jackets there - look at the sale page to get an idea but - so you can work your way through them and perhaps find one that fits you perfectly.

Go there! It's great. And I'm sure even better now that the originals are back in place.
Even if you don't buy or order, it's 100% Worth going there.
I'd love to go back this year when we go to Durham to deliver my friend's ashes to the Lake District.
He was who I was visiting when I bought the jacket in 2011.

I don't know I hear you guys have more deadly snakes, insects and other sundry scary animals that the rest of the world combined!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points