Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would an Akubra Campdraft work in big city business?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Would a silverbelly Akubra Campdraft with a fedora bash match well with a navy blue suit, white shirt and polished black brogues in a downtown/large city environment? Thanks.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I mix my Akubra Silverbelly (which has a very very slight light "tan" highlight) with blues but not always with "black" shoes... usually brown tone shoes which of course would work well with a blue suit. The silverbelly can certainly be worn with black footwear but I usually prefer brown. I also "prefer" a wider ribbon with a suit but that's only a personal "preference."

Abraham

One of the Regulars
My question was driven by my uncertainty about hatband widths. On the one hand I think thinner hatbands make for a far less wannabe/poseur look. On the other hand I don't want to look like I'm wearing an inappropriate, overly casual/countryish hat with a suit.

RBH

Bartender
A Penneys Marathon...but the looks the same.

Seabiscuit-Jeff-Bridges.jpg

2003_seabiscuit_020.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My question was driven by my uncertainty about hatband widths. On the one hand I think thinner hatbands make for a far less wannabe/poseur look. On the other hand I don't want to look like I'm wearing an inappropriate, overly casual/countryish hat with a suit.
Give it a try. As I said my personal preference is for a wider ribbon vs a very thin ribbon with a suit.
Ps. I dont believe wearing a wider ribbon necessarily makes for a "wannabe/poseur " look...

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yes. I don't have a Campdraft, but my vintage Stetson OR/Stratoliner (it's not labeled) looks exactly like Jeff Bridges's hat in the pics RBH posted. I've found it to be the one hat I have which can go either casual, with a collared shirt, jeans, and boots, or more dressy, with a sport jacket and wool topcoat. I haven't tried it with a suit and tie, but I suspect the hat will be fine when I do.

Give it a try. As I said my personal preference is for a wider ribbon vs a very thin ribbon with a suit.
Ps. I dont believe wearing a wider ribbon necessarily makes for a "wannabe/poseur " look...

These days, a nice fedora of any variety will spiff up a suit or anything, as it's looked at as more"formal" than the casual dress of today. Also, due to the public not seeing it as much, I don't think the distinction between thin and wide ribbon is as noticed. Perhaps on some visceral level, the thin ones give a more Western or rural vibe, while the wide ones give a more retro-40s vibe.

Not a blue suit, and not a CD, but a Resistol San Antonio...

Picture3.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
These days, a nice fedora of any variety will spiff up a suit or anything, as it's looked at as more"formal" than the casual dress of today. Also, due to the public not seeing it as much, I don't think the distinction between thin and wide ribbon is as noticed. Perhaps on some visceral level, the thin ones give a more Western or rural vibe, while the wide ones give a more retro-40s vibe.

View attachment 45509

that hat is the shiznit bro ..... looks so damn good on you

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO, a fedora of any ribbon width automatically kicks up any attire to another level. Including suits.
This is absolutely true. In fact, a number of women I work with have made that observation. I think, in particular, that the
SBCD looks really smashing with a suit.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 45509
Great look.

TPD166

One Too Many
I have to "dress up" (shirt, tie, jacket - sometimes a suit) everyday for work and other than the dead heat of Summer (and sometimes even then), my Silverbelly CD gets worn more than any other hat I own. I think thin and mid ribbons have more of a "business" look than wider ones these days, but that's probably just my thin-ribbon bias coming through. When it's too hot for felt, I wear a straw Open Road for work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112